ATTN: .22 Magnum fans

gyvel

Well, according to the Rock Island website they have "perfected" a 1911 in .22 magnum. Looks to be based on their XT-22 series guns, with the Beretta type open top slide. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

You can check out RIA's website for pics. I can't tell if the grip has been slightly elongated or not

I saw pics of it a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, it appears that the grip frame and magazine well have been increased fore-to-aft to allow for the longer length of the .22 Mag cartridge.

gyvel

While looking at the pics, I couldn't tell if it was optical illusion or not, but the grips looked slightly wider than normal.

smee78

I hope the street price is alot lower, if not the I may just get the Kel tec. Also the gun has a 14 round capacity vs the 30 round Kel tec, dont know if thats enough for when the zonbies arrive....:eek: It does look interesting though.

"MSRP $598

Many have asked and Rock Island Armory delivers the first in a carefully designed 1911 packing the powerful 22 magnum cartridge with a 14 round capacity. Engineered with a pinned solid state 5” barrel with delayed blow back slide combined with Rock Island Armory’s standard crisp factory 4 to 6 pound trigger which offers match class accuracy and power. Includes low profile anti snag angle front and rear sight with skeletonized hammer and trigger with adjustable over travel stop. The XT Magnum is finished with rock tough parkerized coating, fitted checkered rubber grips and comfort extended beaver tail safety."

James K

Member In Memoriam
It will be interesting to see how they did the "delayed blowback". It is also interesting to note that the .22 WMR is the same COAL as the 7.62 Tokarev (.30 Mauser). If you set up forging/casting to make a 1911 frame big enough for one, it would probably be fairly easy to make changes to accommodate the other, though in a locked breech, of course.

Jim

gyvel

Yes, I was wondering about the "delayed blowback" myself. Possibly gas bleed off from the chamber working against the recoiling slide? If I'm not mistaken it's been tried successfully a couple of times, except the guns didn't catch on.

gyvel

It is also interesting to note that the .22 WMR is the same COAL as the 7.62 Tokarev (.30 Mauser). If you set up forging/casting to make a 1911 frame big enough for one, it would probably be fairly easy to make changes to accommodate the other, though in a locked breech, of course.

Ah, yes; I can see it now...

Many have asked and Rock Island Armory delivers the first in a carefully designed 1911 packing the powerful 7.62x25 cartridge...

They would probably sell every one they made here.

Last edited:

darkgael

Delayed blowback..... also found in the FN Fiveseven.

A 1911 in 7.62 X 25.....
They would probably sell every one they made here
Ya think? It is a an interesting cartridge, for sure, but not that easy to find.

Pete

PSP

It will be interesting to see how they did the "delayed blowback".
Delayed blowback..... also found in the FN Fiveseven.

Yes but, FN does it with their barrel design and a special coating on the cartridge, not the way R.I. chose with a modular pinned barrel, (whatever that is), and common .22 WMR.

I wonder how they did it too? :confused:

Last edited:

dajowi

Just looking around the net for .22 magnum ammunition certainly sets the tone. Why produce a gun which uses ammunition that you cannot find, is outrageously expensive and which cannot be reloaded? Seems like a very dumb move to me.

Midway USA
Out of stock

Sportsman's Guide
Not available

Lucky Gunner
50 rounds $20 + $15 shipping = $35
200 rounds $150

James K

Member In Memoriam
A 1911 in 7.62x25 would be interesting, which is why I mentioned the idea, but I really don't see much future for the cartridge once the cheap surplus ammo is gone. There will still be a market for the ammo, of course, as there is for other obsolete rounds like the 7.65 Luger, 9mm Largo or 9mm Steyr, but I don't see companies rushing to bring out new models in any of those chamberings.

Jim

DA/SA Fan

If you build it they will come. If they get a gun right and it starts to sell really well the cartridge will gain in popularity. More guns produced by other companies and it snowballs. Of course it depends on how good the gun and cartridge are. 7.62x25 probably won't take the lead from 9mm parabellum but if the gun is good you will probably get some more choice and better prices. Small fast bullets seem to be well received these days.

Amrscor's .22 TCM cartridge uses a cut-down .223/5.56 case with a 40-grain polymer tip bullet to get around 2,100 fps and 392 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. I wonder if they have any thoughts about doing a ",22 TCM Magnum" version, using a longer 5.56-based case and a longer, heavier bullet.

Hmmm ...

PSP said:
Yes but, FN does it with their barrel design and a special coating on the cartridge, not the way R.I. chose with a modular pinned barrel, (whatever that is), and common .22 WMR.
Remember, this is based on a 1911, which normally has a barrel with a link that pulls it down out of lock-up when the slide retracts. The .22 TCM seems to be like most .22 conversions for the 1911 -- a solid underlug on the barrel that uses the slide stop pin to fix the barrel in place, with no link-down.

Big Shrek

One actually can reload .22lr & .22WMR, if they are dedicated.

Lots of info available on doing it on the 'Net, but strangely enough,
old Boy Scout guides give you all you need to know ;)

rt11002003

Delayed blowback: The HK p7 series pistols use the process with great success. Among HK fans, the weapons are highly prized; and because of demand are expensive. IMO they look a little strange because of the grip "cocking" mechanism, but I wouldn't let one of mine go for any reason.

bbqncigars

The RIA sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick with my PMR-30 with its"unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system". A nice trigger and fun to shoot (when you can find ammo).