Attention Mosin Shooters!

Model12Win

I'm pretty sure very few of those iliterate peasants would have been able to make out that card, much less utilize it.

agtman

I'm pretty sure very few of those iliterate peasants would have been able to make out that card, much less utilize it.

No kidding ... Unlike the U.S GIs carrying the venerable and highly accurate M1 Garand! Those dudes were all well-trained in range-estimation and how to work the best iron-sights ever fielded on a battle rifle.

Yep, loving that thought ... :cool: :D

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From what I've read about WW II battles in Russia, many a Nazi found that not all those peasants were illiterate.

I found the use of the sights for range estimation to be of interest.

rightside

I'd love to see it translated. It does appear to be interesting and possibly insightful as to the way the Russians thought about and utilized the Mosin Nagant.

kraigwy

I found the use of the sights for range estimation to be of interest

Using the sights for range estimation is more common then most people think.

When I was conducting sniper schools in the 70-80s using the M1C/Ds we used the front sight for estimating range.

We used the E-tgt. which was 19 inches wide, since the avg. person's shoulders are 19 inches.

The average front site of the M1 Garand is .076. Divide 19 by .076, you get 250.

Meaning if the front sight is the same size as the target, the target is 250 yards away. If the target is 1/2 the size of the front sight, its 500 yards, for if the target is twice the size of the front sight, its 125 yards away.

Like using Mil Dots, the more practice you get, the more accurate your range estimation.

Thanks for posting the article on the Russian Range Card. I have a lot of Mosin shooters that show up to my CMP Clinics that would find this interesting.

Wish the internet was available back in the early 70s when I was an SF Weapons Sgt teaching foreign weapons.

I really don't think teaching Russian Peasants "weaponizing math" would be a whole lot different then teaching Alaska Natives the Mil System when conducting Machine Gun courses for the Alaska National Guard.

Its these challenges that keep a firearm instructor on his toes.