Attention 44 AMP

Forte S+W

Very nice, I've always wanted a Semiautomatic Pistol with Magnum power, but never quite liked the Desert Eagle, and with no other alternatives still in production, I ultimately went with an H&K USP45 Elite, with .45 Super being about as close to a Magnum Semiauto Pistol as I could get.

The Automag IV is a cool pistol, so I'm glad that it's getting another chance, and hopefully nowadays when there is a decent amount of shooters who enjoy handguns with a bit of thump to them, it has a better chance of catching on.

Now if only somebody would revive the LAR Grizzly, then we'd really be in business!

44 AMP

Staff
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! :D

I read the article, its very well done, and pretty factually accurate, though the author left out a number of facts and details.

Particularly the background history of how the Pasedena guns became North Hollywood guns, and then under TDE became El Monte guns, and how at the end Lee Jurras had distributorship and High Standard even made a few Auto Mags.

And his comment on .44 Auto Mags being "happiest" with 240gr loads in the 1200fps range is spot on, but it should be noted that the wildcatters who worked developing loads originally were working at 50,000psi pressures and getting real 1600fps velocities with 240gr bullets from 6.5" barrels.

Those loads are SMOKIN! hot and some of the gun parts showed very limited lifespans (primarily the bolt rotation pin) when run that hot.

The Automag IV is a cool pistol, so I'm glad that it's getting another chance,

Small point of order here, the Automag pistols, (II, III, IV, and V) are NOT the same guns as the Auto Mag pistols. Not even close.

the Automag pistols (note, one word, not two) were made by AMT and while Harry Sanford was involved with those guns also, they are completely different designs than the original Auto Mag (note, two words, not one!!) being a delayed blowback gun in .22WMR (Automag II) and variants of the Browning tilt barrel lock up system in the Automag III.IV, and V.

I'm glad to see the Auto Mag return, again, Phoenix like from the ashes, and especially glad to see it improved while keeping the look that made it iconic.

I don't have any of the original Pasedena guns, but I have a couple of TDE .44AMPs and a .357 AMP.

I also have a .357 & .44 Mag Desert Eagle, a Wildey in .45 Win Mag, an LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag (had one in .44mag) and a Coonan model A .357 (one of the first original 1500 made).

Am happy to discuss these guns and my experience with them, and also happy to poop on the people who dislike and disparage them without ever having a real one in their hands. :D:rolleyes:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561896&highlight=dinosaur
for additional info on the originals...My guns and some other folks magnums too!

Forte S+W

Oops, my mistake. I actually know the difference, but I typed Automag IV by mistake, probably because I was thinking of the LAR Grizzly from the start because I wish that those as well as the AMT Automag III in .30 Carbine would be revived, preferably with better QC.

44 AMP

Staff
Confusing the names is very easy to do, especially if you aren't very familiar with them or have a picture handy to see the obvious differences.

the thread I linked to has pictures of both and you can clearly see the differences.

The LAR Grizzly is a bit unique among the magnum autos, a lot of the parts are said to interchange with 1911A1 parts (some clearly will not), and, from what I've heard, is the only one that went out of production due to the corporation deciding to drop production to use their resources on other items, and not because of poor sales or some other reason.

The companies that produced Auto Mags all went under due to combinations of mismanagement, difficult and expensive production, low public acceptance at the time, and I even heard one went under due to employee embezzelement (though I have nothing other than a rumor of that). And the fact that no major US ammo company produced ammo didn't help at all.

Wildey went away, I don't know exactly why, Coonan also went away, but came back a few years ago, though I think the virus shut them down again. Don't know if its for good, or not.

Which leaves us with only the Desert Eagle in current production, and sadly, in many ways the DE is the worst of the lot. Not a matter of anything wrong with them, more a matter of not enough of the right things being "right".

Or, right enough to make me happy. In particular, the grip is horrid. To be fair, my experience is all with the old originals, now called the Mark I, so the new guns might be a little better in some ways, I haven't tried them. I have had 5 Mark Is, and still have two, one .357 and one .44 Mag.

The Auto Mag never stayed in production long enough for them to get all the bugs out, and some of the design absolutely should have been done differently for ease of manufacture and durability. I hope the reborn version does better. From the article I can see some improvements have been made. Sadly, I cannot at this time justify the price of a new one. To get the first one I got, I took out a loan, it cost more than the car I was driving at the time (83). I could, perhaps, do that again, but now I'm retired, on a fixed and rather small income, and I just don't have the passion I once did, since I do have 3. :rolleyes:

If I had never had an Auto Mag, I'd be all over getting one of the new ones, but today, I can't do it. IF you've never had one, think you might want one, and have the scratch, DO IT! you might find a wonderful thing, or you might not like it, but if you get one, you will know, and not have to spend the rest of your life wondering.

A couple of tips, if you do get one, NEVER drop a round into the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it.

Don't let the bolt slam shut on an empty chamber.

And cocking the gun is TOUGH, best to cock the hammer, firmly hold the cocking ears and push the frame forward, smartly. It gets a little easier with practice, but its never easy, and not everyone can do it. My wife, for example did try a few times, and physically could not do it.

It's not a gun for everyone. Its not even a gun for every experienced shooter. Someone once described them as being like a motorcycle that would do 180mph, but couldn't do less than 60...

When Coonan reappeared on the market a few years back, their ads included a phrase I thought both true and accurate. They said..

"If you're looking for your first pistol, this ISN'T it!"

Goes double for the Auto Mag.
:D

Long Beard

I've been interested in the .45 Wildey manufactured by USA Firearms of Winset, CT. Which is based on the 1911, .45 ball in a shortened .284 case. They offer the .45 Win Mag, .375 Mag and the .44 Auto Mag. If the current price, $2700, is up to date that's half of the .44 auto mag's list in the article.

44 AMP

Staff
Thanks for the heads up about USA firearms of Winset CT! The last time I went looking for Wildey, it was Wildey company (I forget the exact name), their web page had not been updated in years and no one answered the phone, so I figured they were gone.

Did some searching, it appears USA Firearms bought Wildey, and makes the Wildey Survivor pistol. And they have an answering machine, which I got when I called so, they seem to be in business.

I've been interested in the .45 Wildey manufactured by USA Firearms of Winset, CT. Which is based on the 1911, .45 ball in a shortened .284 case.

Wildey had a line of cartridges for their pistol, .475 Wildey was the star but I think they had .45 and .357 rounds too, all based on a cut down .284 Winchester case. They probably sold the most guns in .45 Win Mag. Thats what I have.

Wildey announced chambering the .44 Auto Mag, shortly before they "faded away" though i never got a chance to check one out, the one review I saw stated that Wildey's ".44 Auto Mag" used a shorter case. Don't know if it was true, or if true today. Not a big deal if you're going to make ammo just for it, but if you have .44 AMP already it would be a pain if Wildey's version does use a shorter case.