ATI 5" 1911 Military FTF Issues

Joe_Pike

Okay, I know it's a cheap 1911 but when I bought this thing I had read reviews and the vast majority had nice things to say about the gun. Some even liked them better than the Rock Islands.

Anyway, it's a 5" Military (their model name) and I had it at the range for the first time yesterday. I was shooting WWB 230 gr FMJ and used the ACT magazine that it came with and a Wilson Combat mag also, both eight rounders. The gun had FTF with both mags. Sometimes it was the first round, sometimes it was later in the mag. Out of 50 rounds, probably better than 1/3 of them had a FTF. I even tried loading seven rounds instead of eight to see if that made any difference. It didn't.

Some rounds looked like they nosed down and jammed and then some were partially chambered without going into battery.

I bought this gun with intentions of tweaking on it some down the road as I could afford it but was hoping to at least shoot it a bit first. So much for that.

So, any directions that I should look first?

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
First suggestion, run the mags in another gun(s). With the same, and with different ammo. Problem persists, its the mags. No problems, its the gun.

Until you know which is the problem, you can't be certain which way to proceed.

Tucker 1371

Is the Wilson mag new or has it been used with other 1911s?

If it's not the magazines then your extractor probably needs to be tuned, it likely is tensioned too tight. When the slide moves forward and strips another round from the magazine the extractor has to bend slightly and slip back over the case. If there is too little tension you will have ejection issues like stove pipes. Too much and you get what your gun is doing, Failure to Return to Battery.

Tucker 1371

I would try one more known good magazine of a different manufacture before I went mucking around with the extractor. CMC Powermags are hard to beat, my 5" Colt likes them better than Wilsons. If those don't work I would bet money on too much extractor tension being the culprit.