ATI 1911

NobodyJones

I was at a local store that carries a very good selection of firearms and shooting supplies the other day and looking at 1911's. They had an ATI 1911 in .45 acp for $349. It is essentially a bare bones military model.

So tell me, is ATI a decent manufacturer and are there 1911's any good? I am looking for a 1911 for my wife so I can have mine back. I would have to add a beaver tail and ambidextrous safety, but nothing else.

veprdude

About 8 years ago I decided I wanted a Commander sized 1911 for concealed carry. The consensus back then that anything under $800-1000 would take work to get it reliable. My dad had a Kimber (big deal back then) that was never really reliable. I wound up with a Ruger SR1911 that was terrible. Even sent it back to Ruger and they sent me a new gun it was so bad.

The issue with modern 1911s is that they use extensive Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts and stacked tolerances can be a problem with assembled guns. Older 1911s were assembled by smiths that might hand fit all the parts together and were perhaps sloppier.

Tight, cheap MIM 1911s without custom fitting will leave you with a good chance of considerable headache. You might get a good one. Not saying it's going to blow up. More likely going to have issues with FTE, FTF. Range toy maybe. Don't expect Glock reliability.

Let the flame war begin!

AgedWarrior

ATI 1911’s can be pretty good or they can be awful. Sort of the luck of the draw. You get what you pay for, but they are at best a very basic and often rough running guns. I for sure would not buy one for my wife.

I am not interested in a 1911 vs Glock “flame war,” but I can tell you I own a few 1911’s and they all shoot straight and run great, but I would not buy an ATI unless I was looking for a project.

NobodyJones

I appreciate the info on the ATI, but can't help but wonder why Glock had to be mentioned at all. Personally I do not like Glocks, never felt good in my hands. As for modern 1911 reliability I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model and I have NEVER had a FTF or FTE using both FMJ and JHP ammunition.

I will eliminate the ATI from my list. How about Rock Island? Or am I better off just waiting and buying her a Springfield Loaded of her own?

Ingramite

Good experience with Rock Island

I've owned a Compact and a Government and both were very dependable without spending a lot of money.

I have no experience with the ATI offerings.
I believe that ATI and Rock Island are both built in the Philippines.

NobodyJones said:
I will eliminate the ATI from my list. How about Rock Island? Or am I better off just waiting and buying her a Springfield Loaded of her own?
Both Rock Island and ATI are made in the Philippines on modern CNC machines. They are, for all practical purposes, equal in quality and compete head-to-head.
ATI 1911s are made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing, (a.k.a. S.A.M.), which is a company almost as old as Armscor (the makers of Rock Island 1911s).

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?129-ATI-Fatboy-Review

HiBC

Ihave experience with one ATI, .That's not a.ll ATI's,just one.This one was the bare bones Govt.

The frame,slide,barrel looked fine and were reasonably well fitted.No complaints.

The small parts appeared tome to be nvestment cast,not MIM.

And,while they may have worked perfectly fine,in appearance they had a Harbor Freight look.

This gun was for my son in law,and I was gaining experience as a 1911 mechanic.

So I ordered,installed,and fit as necessary a Cylinder and Slide hammer,sear,disconnect,and sear spring.He has big hands,so I put in a long lightweight aluminum trigger.
I let him try various spurs/beavertails.He liked the feel of the Wilson drop in beavertail.I have the jigs for radiusing the frame..two styles,but the drop in was his preference.

I also fitted a top quality slide stop and link,extractor,etc.And a firing pin.

I used a Cyl and slide kit of mall springs and pins. I don't recall which mainspring housing he preferred.I fitted what was best for him.

I also staked on a Trijicon tritium front sight and installed a 10-8 U notch rear.

Recoil spring is a Wolfe.

I let him try several grips,he liked the Hogue rubber panels with the pal goose eggs.

I never even bothered to fire it in the original condition.

You may ask Why? To which I reply "Why not?"

Was it a bargain? Probably not. But I'm not sure an $800 1911 would have better critical parts,hand fitted with care.

He was able to choose some options.

One more thing was upgraded. Magazines. I got him 5 Wilsons. The ATI magazine did not impress me.

It shoots good. Its been reliable. I think he has a good gun.

That does not directly tell you much,but indirectly it tells you what I chose to upgrade.

Ask your gunshop to field strip it for you. If they will,pick up the slide stop and study it close. See what you think.

I did a similar work over on a Springfield that would not feed the bullet the owner had bought a few thousand of.

The Springfield had more wrong with it. Plunger tube loose,major factory burrs in frame dragging on barrel underlug,and the original,parkerized feed ramp was poorly hand shaped ...like the profile of a beer belly. Rounds feeding out of the mag hit a near vertical surface at about the navel.

I set it up at the blueprint angle in a Bridgeport,and fortunately had enough steel to clean the ramp and still allow the step to the chamber mouth.

It shoots good now.

I'm a 1911 fan. I went through the effort to learn to build them.

While I do respect the Glock is a very successful,reliable pistol,I just do not get a warm fuzzy when I grip one.

However,IF I was trying to convince my wife to let me have my 1911 back,I might convince her to try shooting the S+W M+P . Its value priced and a pretty darn good gun.

If you are 45 ACP folks,consider that a Shield 2.0 in 45 ACP holds 7+1

Its just over 20 0z,maybe 23? or so. You can even custom shop a 4 in slide.

Or,an M+P 9 C is a double stack that holds 12 in a flush mag,more with full size M+P mags.

What it won't have is a 1911 trigger. The 2.0 triggers are better than earlier M+P triggers. The triggers are a bit like new Carharts or denim jeans. After a while,the new wears off They get better.

I bought an M+P 9 Compact with thumb safety and put in Apex trigger parts.

At first,the 1911 style ambi safety seemed a good idea,as did the Apex parts.

Holster makers don't design for the protruding thumb safety,and the trigger became lighter over time.

I'm pondering retrofitting the original trigger parts and sending it to S+W to convert it to the "non-safety" version. I know,I could do that myself. But that would be tampering and could cause legal problems. A work order that says its a S+W job seems a better idea

Whethe my wife(when I still had one) or my son in law,I'd steer them toward an M+P ,at least to try out.

Last edited:

Hawg

I've had a Rock Island tactical for about eight years. It's tight, the parts are well fitted. It handles anything you put in it. It even cycles empty cases. I tossed the factory mag and grips and I've never had a failure of any kind, not even during the break in period. It's not a pretty gun but it works and it works very well. It has a lifetime warranty for the life of the gun. If something goes wrong they will fix it.

littlebikerider

I have the ATI .45 1911. I make no illusions about being able to disassemble and work on a gun, either it shoots well out of the box for me or it doesn't. Mine has a bit of a stiff trigger, and a slight bit of creep compared to my Colt 1911. When I first got it, it would occasionally FTF in the first couple hundred rounds. But now it runs with complete reliability, I had it at the range over the weekend. For someone who shoots a lot, I would say save up and buy a little nicer gun. But for someone who shoots it occasionally, doesn't plan to dump money in it, I think it's worth a look for the price.
This is my first .45, and I've decided I like shooting it enough to pony up for a nicer 1911 .45, so this one is about to hit the sale block.

Nanuk

Nothing wrong with ATI. I would put them in the category with the other entry 1911's made by Ruger, Remington and Rock Island. For your wife I would spend some more and get a Colt or Dan Wesson.

AgedWarrior

I own a RIA 10mm, runs good and shoots straight...no problems. My Springfield Armory 1911’s are better quality guns than the RIA in regard to fit and finish, and overall a better firearm. I appreciate the serviceability of RIA guns, but, if I was considering a 1911 for my wife, Springfield’s would definitely be in the consideration ahead of RIA.

DubC-Hicks

I've shot one ATI and handled a few. They're rough around the edges, but seem to be a decent functional budget 1911. I'd put RIA about them in the fit and finish category.

The newer contender that's really surprising me is the new models that Tisas has come out with. I bought one of their GI spec 1911A1s for $340 recently and am thoroughly impressed. Excellent fit and finish and perfect reliability after about 500rds now. They're selling black Cerakote and stainless models with commander hammers, extended beavertails, and Novak sights for around the $400 mark now, too. Classic Firearms and Aim Surplus have them

NobodyJones

dgludfwig,

Well, to be honest you are right. But what I was hoping for is someone, or people to say, Yes, its a great gun for the price, or a piece of junk. Since most of the answers were mediocre in regards to ATI I will probably just wait and buy her a SA Loaded like mine, or give her mine and buy myself an SA Range Officer!

KyJim

The greatest things about 1911 style pistols are ergonomics and trigger pull. See if you can handle an ATI and try the trigger. The gun should be reasonably durable unless its a lemon. I think the service reputation of 1911 manufacturers is especially important because---and it pains me to have to admit it---they tend to be a little more prone to issues than modern polymer pistols. It may be an easy fix, but it's nice to know if the manufacturer will back up their guns.

AgedWarrior

dgludfwig,

Well, to be honest you are right. But what I was hoping for is someone, or people to say, Yes, its a great gun for the price, or a piece of junk. Since most of the answers were mediocre in regards to ATI I will probably just wait and buy her a SA Loaded like mine, or give her mine and buy myself an SA Range Officer!
Why not take your wife shopping and let her pick?

I think the Range Officer line is pretty nice. I own an RO Compact and an RO Elite Target; love em both!

railroader

dgludfwig,

I would spend a little more and get a nicer gun. It doesn't cost a lot more to get an upgraded 1911 with a good beavertail and sights. If you have a base model then do upgrades it can be expensive and not worth it.

dgludwig

Why not take your wife shopping and let her pick?

If she doesn't know much about guns and/or shooting, you'd be doing her a disservice (as well as anyone else not familiar with guns and/or shooting) by letting her "pick" a gun she might like for whatever reason. Certainly, even people (wife or otherwise) who are not proficient with shooting should have inputs into the final choice but people asking for and needing advice should be relying on experienced shooters who know what they're talking about-even if it's the husband, as in this case.

NobodyJones

My wife has picked out every firearm she owns. We discuss things and I may try to gently steer her away from what I feel are not a good choice for her but in the end she makes up her own mind.

It is my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 that she has put the claim on. I would very much like it back. Hence the search for her own 1911. No big hurry, no stress, no strain, just looking at ideas.