ATF interested in your blue plastic H20 barrels

G-Freeman

Friday in Washington D.C. a bomb squad, ATF agents, and a SWAT team held a dawn home invasion on a family based on a tip from a neighbor that they were seen storing large drums in their garage. They were using them to store water in anticipation of Y2K. My first response is how bad could this have gone down if it happened to your home? Also it seems that in at least some jurisdictions, all that is required for a warrant is a neighbor who sees you with a package "this big". This story is in the August 7-8 version of the Washington Post.

[This message has been edited by G-Freeman (edited August 07, 1999).]

http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-08/07/132l-080799-idx.html

Hmm...wonder if they followed the usual ATF proceedure of kick in the door, shoot the dog, squash the cat underfoot, hog-tie everone in the area, and loot, er, search with the no-knock, unsigned, sealed warrant?

"We check these things out to make sure there's no problem," he said. "And when there isn't, we all walk away a lot happier."

Yep, there's the "you're guilty until WE prove otherwise" jurisprudence.

Mort

Am I tripping, or is the government and media totally suspicious of anyone who tries to be a little self-sufficient? What's wrong with being a survivalist? Wanting to survive? Perhaps then we'll figure out that Executive Orders are not one of the required elements that sustain human life. No, better to call in the kops before that happens...

Kodiac

Mort, the Government wants you to be a SLAVE.
If your thinking otherwise, you Sir, are an Enemy of the State.

Any one tells you different is trying to sell you something.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

dZ

combine this water tank ditty with the july treasury department "sniper" panic & i think we can see that things are a bit intense behind the facade in olde WDC...

paranoia?

dZ

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Naw. It's only training! It doesn't mean anything but, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!"

Hmmm. On *second* thought....

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
how bad could this have gone down if it happened to your home?

How bad?

I'd be dead. And so would a bunch of Federales.

Now, how bad that is depends, I suppose, on one's point of view. :)

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm...

I thought it was: "We're from the government and here to help you, now hands up and face the ditch"

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Rhyannann

There *is* an executive order against storing, I mean, hording food and water. I suppose they could have got them on that.