ATF and Acetone

Doc Hoy

Just tried it on some rusted bolts on a wheel barrow and all of them turned loose immediately.

I should have compared it to liquid wrench but I didn't think quick enough.

I do have to shake it up every time I use it.

For the guys with the boogered up screws. .50-70 Trapdoor and the 1860 Colt, I recommend it before trying to get the screws out.

RedBowTies88

I've been using ATF and Acetone for years on my automotive projects... it works absolutely great.

The very best product I've used although hard to come by is this

http://www.freealloil.com/freeall.html

the stuff literally eats rust.

If I don't feel like mixing up some atf and acetone then PB blaster is the best readily available store bought stuff around here.

bedbugbilly

Whew Doc! For a minute, when I read your heading, I was thinking that you were giving the ATF guys . . (Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms) acetone instead of possibly beer or whisky to drink! Or maybe I'd slept through some new legislation where the ATF outlawed acetone or something . . . :D

I'm writing this one down in my notebook of info . . . have you tried it on "stuck" nipples? Seems like it might work well for that little problem that everyone has once in a while?

Doc Hoy

BBB

Actually, the mixture was suggested by at least one person on this forum (I think Mykeal and possible a host of others) specifically as a way to loosen up stuck nipples.

I have not tried it on nipples, only wheel barrows.

BirchOrr

^^^

Glad to hear you tried it and it worked well for ya!

All of us are creatures of habit and tend to use what has always worked for us. I also think when we find something that works even better, then we're stuck on our new discovery until we find a new miracle product. What I like about this "home brew" is most of us tinkerers, already have these two items in our garage/work area.

Many independent studies have been done on the effectiveness of different penetrating oils and the results are all the same. The ATF/acetone wins every time.

FWIW

Birch

Doc Hoy

The earlier question about separation....

....is valid. It does separate as it sits. You have to shake it up to use it.

It turns into a pretty red colored milky liquid.

I am keeping it in a Southern Comfort bottle. I have to remember not to drink it.