At which distance do you zero your .223Rem bolt rifle?

Thirties

The title says it all . . .

At which distance (yards) do you zero the sights/scope on your .223Rem bolt action rifle?

I'm guessing 75 to 100 yards, but I'd appreciate responses from actual owners/uses.

I forgot to mention -- this would be for plinking and small varmint shooting, not extra long distance "sniper" type shooting.

j.chappell

My 223's are zeroed at 225 yards.

The following numbers are accurate within say 1/2"-1 1/4" depending on the time of year and me. Never missed a groundhog out to 350 yards with this sight in, I usually dont shoot much over 350 yards when using my 223's.

Well never missed one when the wind wasnt howling, lol.

100 yards 2" high
200 yards 1" high
300 yards 5" low
400 yards 13" low

J.

garryc

225 here also. I also know where the top of the duplex hits at each differant power setting on the scope. I also bracket shoot. Normally the scope is set at 225 yards. If the laser say Mr. Yote is between 250 and 325 yards I simply bracket him between the cross hair and the top of the duplex, use the depth of the target.

j.chappell

garryc,

Predator and varmint hunters think a lot alike:). I have long used a duplex and just love the way they work for shooting distant targets.

J.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I use the calculator on this site:

http://www.realguns.com/

You may have to register but they don't bother you;).

One of the options on their calculator is "Target Size", if your target is 6 inches , their calculator will give you a table with the bullet never more than 3 inches high and also show what point it will be 3 inches low, "Maximum Point Blank Range". It works great.

Thirties

Thanks for the instant info . . . I live in Maine, in a woodsy area, so it is difficult to get a good look at anything over 100 yards around here. I will look into the Realguns web page. Thanks again.

Thirties

"May I ask what you are hunting in the woods of Maine with a 223?"

I'm not hunting. I'm shooting red squirrels out to 100 yards (too far for good hits with my 1022 Ruger). And I'm plinking. See my original message.

j.chappell

Sorry if I offended you. I did read it but it slipped my mind, it happens more than I would care to admit, lol.

If you are only shooting 100 yards or so I would sight in dead on at 50 yards, this makes you no more than + or - 1/2" or so the whole way out to 175 yards.

That is with my load which is a 55gr Nosler BT at an average of 3211fps.

J.

Thirties

Chappell, no offense taken. I like your 50 yd idea.

Now all I need it to buy a rifle . . . handled the Weatherby Vanguard & Vanguard Compact and Tikka T3. Not many used ones around here.

Any opinions on which rifle? I've already set myself up to load .223rem ammo. But I haven't yet chosen an axe.

j.chappell

I am not familiar with the Tikka rifles but have had experience with the Weatherby Vanguards. My experience has been favorable. The ones I have shot have been accurate, well made, and reliable.

Both rifles have adjustable triggers and good reviews. The only complaints I have really heard about the Tikkas are of the rings. What model T3 were you looking into?

J.

garryc

Red squirrels at 100 yards? If you are a reloader you should be able to make up a very accurate load useing hornet bullets at about 1600 fps.