At what cost?

Gunplummer

There is a 1895 Winchester on an online auction right now. It is in terrible shape. The stock is cracked and cut down. The forearm looks to made from pine. There is no bluing left and the receiver is scratched and nicked up. There is a screw going right through the lettering on the receiver to hold some kind of peep sight. The barrel (May be original length) is in 30-40. It is up over $700 now. I have seen decent 30-40's go at $900. Do you think this is headed to be a special "Build" gun? I cannot figure out what motivates the price on some rifles.

big al hunter

Sometimes people (myself included, long story for another time) get excited during an auction. The price is of less concern than winning, or beating the person that out bid your last "highest I will pay" bid.:mad:. Not everyone understands that just being old doesn't make it valuable.:eek:

Someone interested has deep pockets. Probably going to mount it above their new fireplace mantel. Well used beat up> the better. Appearance and bragging rites to its new owner yup such rifle belonged to Butch Cassidy, Wyatt Earp or Melvin Purvis.

Gunplummer

It was on Gunauction.com and closed out at $708. I am guessing that a couple people want to re-barrel it to 7.62x54R. There was a 99' Savage on Gunbroker last year that looked as if it had been against a tree and some one backed a truck against it. It was at $300 and still climbing when I had last looked. The stock was snapped off and the barrel bent so bad it split the fore arm. I would have bet the receiver ring was distorted. You can easily pick up a decent 99 for $50-$100 more. It may be the "New wave" people breaking into the gun world. People that watch the wheeler-dealer shows like American Pickers. I noticed that used parts for guns have gone up to ridicules levels lately.