At the Gunshow

BigG

At the gunshow I looked at a lot of military surplus stuff that's been coming in, including M48 Mausers looking like they were unissued with all accessories for $169. I would think one would make a heck of a project rifle as the action alone would be adequate to modify in any reasonable caliber and they are like new. Also, as a militree collector piece, they are pretty nice.

I also looked at the crop of P1 Walthers that look to be unissued with accessories and picked out one marked P38, Carl Walther Ulm/Do, all matching numbers and no rebuild numbers. It came with holster, 2 Walther mags and cleaning kit for $299.

Picked up a case of Win 9mm white box, 500 rounds for $55. That's cheaper than reloading, almost at least if your time is worth anything.

I remember handling a P38 years ago and it had a steel frame IIRC but the new version has an anodized aluminum frame.

Anything I should know about the P1/P38? The manual cautions against dry firing, BTW. Is there a weakness in the mechanism or is this just PC?