At a bit of a crossroads here......

rantingredneck

......for the first time in my life I don't have a "must have" firearm on my list.

I've finished my AR. Happy with it. May add a quality red dot optic or the like to it someday, but happy with irons (detachable carry handle) for now. Hunting rifles are well covered with a pair of 700's topped with Nikon glass. Been thinking about a Garand or M1A or the like. No real itch though.

I've got more scatterguns than one person needs. Semi, break action, pump. Don't presently own a double. Not really itching for one either though. Of course I'm always on the lookout for good deals on 870's, 500's, H&R's, etc. If I found a deal it would come home with me, but I'm not out there itching for another.

Handguns, covered. I'm a Ruger fan at heart and have several DA revolvers and .45ACP semi's. Also a .22 and an LCP. Not really into the single action scene. I appreciate their looks, but it just ain't me. Not really interested in 9mm or .40SW handguns anymore. Not a 1911 guy. Shot plenty of them, not me. Glocks........eh......No handguns out there at the moment that appeal to me. If I run across a deal on a 3" SP101 I'd probably take it, but again, just don't have that itch.

So, what to do with my usual firearms $ budget? Put it away and save up for a nice M1A or Garand? Pick up the 3" SP101 when I find a deal? Ammo/Ammo/Ammo?

I'm thinking the latter..........ammo..........and components......

azredhawk44

Put the $$ in your gunsafe.

Something will come up. Go to a gunshow when you've got an amount you're comfortable with. You'll find something cool and difficult to find... a 4" SP-101 in .22LR, or a Ruger Deerfield 44 carbine, or a .480 SRH, or a .357 Redhawk. Something odd that tickles your Ruger fancy.

Or you'll find someone hawking their Garand or M14 and have the cash ready for it, if the fancy takes you.

AZAK

What about reloading/handloading? If you have reached a kind of breathing space with the lack of "must have" guns, perhaps you might have reached a point where making your own ammo could tickle your fancy. Maybe working up a new load, wildcat, etc... that sets a new industry standard? I assume that "components" refers to reloading. So it would be taking your loading to a new level. There are plenty of really obscure caliber loads out there, that some people just love! Maybe .22BR or something of this sort...

I have been buying/selling/trading guns pretty actively, for me, for over two decades. Just recently my energies for this have turned more toward reloading. Still keep looking at the gun stores, just find myself buying more recently in the reloading aisle.

For me this has added an entirely new dimension to shooting. Now it is not only how does this particular firearm shoot, but how does this particular load work in this particular firearm.

This has added a new "depth" to my entire concept of shooting.

Just a thought, and if your already "reloaded out" well then we could always use a weather forecaster who actually is right more than not! (This could take a fair amount of your time and resources, because apparently this pursuit is more difficult than finding the actual holy grail!!!)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

rantingredneck

I'm a relative newb to reloading. Been loading for pistol for a year and rifle for just a few months. Looking to get into shotgun reloading soon. May be prudent to invest in some equipment for that.

predator86

get yourself a .50 cal:D or how a bout a really nice ak-74??

you can always get mags, ammo, spare parts or spend the money on training or you can quit buying guns and shoot the ones you have....you have plenty of options...but i do agree with the garand and/or M1....

MeekAndMild

How about saving money for an out of state hunting trip? Nothing like going up into the Rocky Mountains or the deep Georgia piney woods or even up to Alaska to really make your year.

rantingredneck

See, the problem with that is you're supposed to buy low and sell high.

I'd be surprised if the dollar doesn't rebound within the next year. Some signs of it already.

Logs

I am the same way, I have picked up about everything I have wanted. Right now I have been just collecting ammo.

It kinda sucks not planning for that next purchase, but in a few months who knows..... :)

CraigC

I've been there, it will pass. Save your money for something really good. Treat yourself to the one gun you thought you'd never be able to afford. Then take it out and use it, don't let it languish in the safe.