Assuslt Weapons?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Depends.

AR-15's made before a certain date are dangerous and deadly assault weapons that will turn you into a deranged postal worker if you're even in the same room as them. That's why we issue ones that look like this to our military and police.

AR-15's made after that date, while identical to the untrained eye, are wholesome and safe family-fun target rifles.

Clear as mud? ;)

western332

i guess my question was, are they assualt weapons? so it depends when they were made? how can i tell what is or isnt an assualt weapon?

Bam Bam

Check the laws of the state that you live in so that you do not inadvertently break an UnConstitutional law by buying or importing a so-called 'Assault Weapon' that has UnConstitutionally been put on the proscription list by a power-usurping politician. There is a federal definition, but some states have even more restrictions. Check your state law.

Lictalon

Okay...I don't have my list in front of me, so if I leave anything out, correct me.

A rifle is an "assualt rifle" (Dumbest bit of lingo ever heard...All rifles are made for assualt...thanks Hitler...) if it has more than two of the following features:

1. A pistol grip.
2. Detachable magazine.
3. Bayonet lug/mount (Gotta worry about those drive-by bayonetings!)
4. Flash suppressor
5. Collapsible stock

A rifle made before the law was passed (1994) is considered "Pre-ban" and is still legal to be owned and used in most states (We're dealing with a federal law...Certain areas may be more strict). It is even legal to purchase parts for these weapons in order to repair them (i.e., I could order a collapsible stock from Bushmaster to put on my pre-ban rifle). However, I need to be able to prove that the rifle was put together before the law, and I cannot manufacture a new rifle that violates the above rules.

So...your lovely wife buys you a post-ban Bushmaster. It will look nearly identical, except it will only have the pistol grip and detachable magazine...all other items are going to be missing. We can argue about whether or not you need those missing items later...your new Bushmaster is legal, and you may use pre-ban magazines in the weapon.

You may not, however, buy a pre-ban collapsible stock and put in on the weapon...though I think you could own one should TSHTF and the world end...this would make it an illegal "assualt rifle."

You may not own an AR-15 and also own the parts (trigger assembly) that would turn it into an automatic (ie, M16 parts). That creates a machinegun.

Finally, most people will always refer to these weapons as "assualt rifles" and no-one will correct them. I believe that the correct term is "battle-rifle", but let's not start using it, lest the liberals turn around and market them as a new, more lethal form of "assualt rifles" :) :) In any case, your rifle will be legal should it follow the above mentioned rules.

Of course, the best thing you can do is spend fifteen minutes on your knees every night, asking God politely to let the 1994 bill quietly sunset in two years, and this whole silly mess will be relegated to history.

Hope it helps.

I realize you are only interested in the State's definition of "assault weapon" for your own benefit and protection but I hope everyone realizes that the term "assault weapon" (as opposed to assault rifle) is a political term and not a technical one. There are no assault weapons except in the political sense. Not that politics is not real, it's just that we shouldn't help further the antis' political agenda by using their terms. I prefer "sport utility rifle" myself when referring to civilian versions of the AR15, AK47, etc.

western332

so these type of guns do not fall into a catagory that everyone accepts? thats too bad. some woud be offended no matter how one tried to bunch them up?

Not to pick nits, but the term "assault rifle" describes a light rifle which fires an intermediate cartridge and is capable of selective fire, that is, full auto or burst. A semi-automatic (or self-loading) rifle is not an assault rifle. Famous assault rifles are the M-16 and the AK-47. The civilian versions of these are merely self-loading rifles with a military appearance. The term "assault weapon" is used deliberately to fool people into thinking that machine guns are easily and commonly available.

yankytrash

western - This is the "assault rifle" definition according to federal law,

Semiautomatic rifle capable of accepting a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following features:
Flash Hider,
Pistol Grip that protrudes conspiciously below the action of the weapon,
Bayonet Lug
Retractable, folding, or collapsible stock.

However, those features are allowed on rifles manufactured before September 13th, 1994. By default, any weapon actually named "AR-15" is not an assault weapon by definition, as they went out of production by Colt in the early 80's.

A post ban rifle may be semiautomatic, accept detachable magazines, and have only one of the evil features listed above.

Also, a "Dragunov" stock is widely accepted as a non-pistol grip, although some local BATF offices may interpret "Dragunov" stocks differently.

tyme

Administrator
Not to pick nits, but the term "assault rifle" describes a light rifle which fires an intermediate cartridge and is capable of selective fire, that is, full auto or burst. A semi-automatic (or self-loading) rifle is not an assault rifle. Famous assault rifles are the M-16 and the AK-47. The civilian versions of these are merely self-loading rifles with a military appearance. The term "assault weapon" is used deliberately to fool people into thinking that machine guns are easily and commonly available.
(www.m-w.com)
Main Entry: assault rifle
Function: noun
Date: 1975
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles designed for military use with large capacity magazines

I agree with m-w, "spray and pray" is not a required ability of firearms in most well-planned "assaults".

I don't think there's anything wrong with labelling military-style semi-auto rifles as "assault rifles;" there's just a problem when they're restricted or banned from civilians.

The original assault rifle and the one from which the term is derived was the German Sturmgewehr. It was capable of automatic fire and was therefore designed around a smaller, less powerfull 8mm cartridge. This intermediate cartridge was necessary because a rifle firing a full size cartridge would be uncontrollable in the automatic mode. The smaller cartridge also allows an infantryman to carry more ammo.
It is the intermediate cartridge and the automatic capability which distinguishes the assault rifle, regardless of what the publishers of merriam-websters (not my first choice for firearms information)may have you believe.

AnotherPundit

The funny thing is, I have the ar-15.com limited edition rifle.

It has the detachable magazine, pistol grip -- and a "fake" flash hider that's just a decorative thingy fitted over the end of the barrel, and a "look-alike" collapsible stock that doesn't actually collapse.

Hence, it looks just like an "evil assault rifle" in every respect. I love when the non-gun-initiates see it. . .the response is always "is that thing legal?!"

Brian Gibbons

55645 is correct ...

That definition is the accurate description of an "assault rifle". Any other definitions that encompass semi-auto only firearms are the result of the misapplication of the term. Never using the term "assault rifle" unless refering to a gun capable of full automatic fire. It only perpetuates the BS ...

Brian Gibbons

55645 is correct ...

That definition is the accurate description of an "assault rifle". Any other definitions that encompass semi-auto only firearms are the result of the misapplication of the term. Never using the term "assault rifle" unless refering to a gun capable of full automatic fire. It only perpetuates the BS ...