Assistance for a newbie?

Eightball

Greetings to all. Recently, I acquired a Remington 1858 .36 cal BP revolver. I currently have nothing for it (but will probably remedy that with a Cabela's starting kit and some .36 wads sometime shortly). Other than that, I know basically nothing about how to load it (ordering of wads/other things), what grade powder to use, what order to clean it in (or what with), etc--the basics (other than firearm safety rules--I'm not totally ignorant of things). So, I thought the friendly people here at TFL could help me out :) .

And, are there any belts/holsters that would work with this, since there is such a distinctively tall front sight? Thanks for any/all replies. :)

QuickTrig

Ooo that sounds like a fun gun, I've always wanted to get a lower caliber black powder pistol or rifle (under .50) to shoot. I cant find anything other then .50 caliber rifles and .44 caliber pistols. Sorry I cant answer your questions but sounds like a nice gun. :)

Ozzieman

I will try to help some

First instead of wads start with plane balls and grease. Spitball is one of the better name brands that I use. But even if you use wads on a ball and cap revolver use some kind of grease on the front of the ball after you load it. This will insure that you dont have a multi fire (two rounds go off at the same time) I have experanced it once and you dont want to.

As for cleaning, I dont shoot remengtions I shoot colts reps, and I remove the cylinder and barrel and wash in soapy water, it works best, very hot water so that it drys quickly then a good coat of oil.
I dont shoot 36 I shoot 44 and shoot 30 GR of double f. Make a nice bang and has good power. A guess would be some where in the 20's would be a nice load for your gun but I would ask some one that shoots a 36.
Run one cap on each nipple with an empty chamber befor loading with powder. This makes sure that the nipple is clear and will insure a good flame reaches the powder when you finaly load it.

Low Key

Holster

Cabela's should have a holster in stock that will fit your pistol. They don't have a big selection or a lot of fancy stuff, but some good basic holsters to get you started. Their website is http://www.cabelas.com/