Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008

black

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h6257/text

with the duo the democrats have running, we can and IMHO will see this signed into action.

this bill however is a sure fire way of ending the careers of those who choose to be involved with it.

can such actions be considered illegal laws since nothing but a bolt action, single shot .22 will be legal?

Te Anau

They might have to add rocks and hammers to the list as that is all that's left out.I hope the sponsors get terminal cancer.A voodoo doll may be in the works soon.BASTARDS!
:mad: :barf: :mad:

CraigC

I don't see it happening. I don't think Obama has a snowball's chance in hell. I don't understand why everybody is so convinced that he'll be our next president.

S832

McCain would sign it, so would Obama. The president who gets elected isn't going to matter on this one.

Tom2

Did you click on the comments tab there? Sounds like all you guys got there first! Looks like a TFL thread! :p

KCabbage

Greetings all.
McCain would sign it, so would Obama. The president who gets elected isn't going to matter on this one.
Actually, I read that McCain is pro-gun. For instance, their was an issue regarding a ban on assult rifles. Obama voted for the ban, McCain did not.
If you want a president for guns, McCain is your man.
Take care

McCain is the only candidate in the whole deal who comes right out and says he's against the assault weapons ban. Whatever his foibles in the past, I think he's on track now. He's not even hiding it in the throes of an election.

S832

Saying you are against something and not signing it when hits your desk, are two different things.

I wouldn't look to McCain as being the savior if a AWB gets pass Congress.

Maybe I am wrong and he would prevent it from passing, but I wouldn't bet anything important on him vetoing it.

LanceOregon

Actually, I read that McCain is pro-gun. For instance, their was an issue regarding a ban on assult rifles. Obama voted for the ban, McCain did not.
If you want a president for guns, McCain is your man.

Well, that is only partially true.

McCain did vote against the original 1994 ban that became law. But he did vote IN FAVOR of the law being re-authorized back in 2004 when it expired. What the Democrats and some Republicans like McCain did in 2004 was to add the Assault Weapons Ban Re-authorization to the bill to protect Firearms Manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits. A few key Senators like McCain were willing to support doing that, and it tipped the scale to get the ban added to the bill.

However, that was such a poison pill, that other Republicans would then not pass it so amended, so neither the protection for gun makers or the assault weapons ban got past that year.

Here is an old news story all about that:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/02/senate.guns/index.html

‘Centerfire Rifles--Autoloaders

‘Browning BAR Mark II Safari Semi-Auto Rifle

‘Browning BAR Mark II Safari Magnum Rifle

‘Browning High-Power Rifle

‘Heckler & Koch Model 300 Rifle

‘Iver Johnson M-1 Carbine

‘Iver Johnson 50th Anniversary M-1 Carbine

‘Marlin Model 9 Camp Carbine

‘Marlin Model 45 Carbine

‘Remington Nylon 66 Auto-Loading Rifle

‘Remington Model 7400 Auto Rifle

‘Remington Model 7400 Rifle

‘Remington Model 7400 Special Purpose Auto Rifle

‘Ruger Mini-14 Autoloading Rifle (w/o folding stock)

‘Ruger Mini Thirty Rifle

looks to me as though we are safe as long as we own Colt AR-15s.., in fact any Colt rifle/carbines.

stevelyn

Mach II Sailor,

I think the real purpose of that partial list is to show the Fudds that they aren't safe either.

GPossenti

I'm always a skeptic...

so I'm curious as to why this "oepncongress" is the only website where I've ever heard of this bill. I haven't heard it from the NRA, Tom Gresham (I haven't been listening long), or any other watchdog orgs.

As for Barack Obama, have you ever heard of the "Bradley Effect"? Basically, when a black candidate is running against a white candidate, the opinion polls state higher support for the black candidate. However, the actual election shows largely different results. The idea is that white voters don't want to sound racist in opinion polls, and thus say they support the black candidate, but they vote for the white candidate when they enter the voting booth.

Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, an African-American Democrat, in 1982 unexpectedly lost his candidacy for governor of California. His defeat followed voters telling pollsters they prefer a black candidate and then voting the other way. In California's primary last Tuesday, Obama lost by a landslide 10 percentage points after a late survey showed him ahead by 13 points and other polls gave him a smaller lead.
link here

Obama is either even with or behind McCain in the polls. Will he end up 20 points behind?

black

ya gotta love how the govt. seeks to tell us what guns we can own and what guns we can't own.

sorta like the libs telling us we cant own SUV's and need to own Prius's

Lavid2002

the list had colt ar15 and it said anz other replica...i just got mz ar15 they better not take it away from me. I dont ave ANYTHING on my record no speeidng ticket no parking ticket NOTHING! What does the gov. have on me?
: D
rediculous.....
-dave

It is mind-boggling. If weapons "in common use" (to use SCOTUS language) are protected, then none of these weapons nor any mag bans should stand.

The weapons in the MOST common use in the world at this time would probably be an AK47, followed closely by an ar15, 1911, Glock w/standard cap mags, etc.

Is anyone planning a challenge? Or must it pass before anything can be done?
What about challenging it at the State level after incorporation?

Last edited:

black

the govt. does not want to be on equal ground weapon wise with the citizens. the ban just seeks to disarm us so they are above us.

black

id love to see them enforce this. they cannot keep track of 30 million illegals, but they think they can regulate 85 million gun owners....