'Assault Weapon' - the Real Definition

Jeff Thomas

Before the anti-self defense crowd came up with their BS, was this term ever in general use in the firearms community? If so, what was the common definition?

As I recall, the Germans first came up with a short-barrelled, automatic rifle that was the first 'assault rifle' during WWII, no?

Next time I discuss this issue, I would like to better understand the real history of this phrase. I do recognize it now exists only to demonize semi-automatic firearms 'of the month'.

Thanks.

45King

Jeff,
I remember calling the military look-alike semi's "AW's" way back when...BP (Before Purdy). We all knew the difference, but we maybe shot ourselves in the foot on that one. Then again, maybe not. I think the bannits would have hung that name on them even if we hadn't. I've tried arguing with them about the name differences, they all dismiss the military definition as "obscure, and therefore not valid." Never mind that the military invented the term and the weapon; logic always takes a back seat to emotionalism.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Bulldog

According to a fellow on the History Channel's The History of the Gun, Adolph Hitler coined the phrase "Assault Rifle" when his R&D folks came up with a new rifle during WWII. Hitler thought they were developing a pistol-caliber firearm, but the developers opted for a rifle cartridge instead (while risking the wrath of Hitler). When someone slipped the term "Rifle" into a conversation with Hitler when discussing their new development, the cat was out of the bag. After reviewing the project, Hitler was so impressed that he dubbed the gun the "Assault Rifle" (In German language, of course).

The original German assault rifle was the basis off of which Mikhail Kalishnakov designed the AK-47 rifle.

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited July 26, 1999).]

Jim V

A short rifle (xcarbine) firing an intermediate sized cartridge (not full power rifle load like 8 m/m Mauser, .303 British, .30-06 or 7.62*54R nor a pistol round like 9m/m) and having select fire abilities.

Thus a FN FAL would not be an assault rifle, due to size even if it was select fire due to the size and cartridge used 7.62*51, not what was or is considered an intermediate cartridge.

Anyway to have an assault rifle it must be capable, without modification of the gun itself, of being fired full auto.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

alan

Jeff:
The proper definition, the one appearing in reference texts dealing with small arms, and by The Dept. of Defense, and U.S. Army is as follows: "A selective fire weapon, usually of rifle configuration, chambered for an intermediate power cartridge". Note that cosmetic features are not mentoned, only functional considerations (modes of fire) are. When we used the M-2 Carbine, we used "an assault rifle", in that it had selective fire capability, and was chambered for an intermediate power round. Selective fire weapons firing pistol cartridges are properly called sub-machine guns. Hope the foregoing helps. Should you note the divergence between what the military and reference texts have to say, compared with the output of some of our "elected things" for instance, simply consider the source.

Jeff Thomas

Thanks to all ... this has definitely helped clarify the subject for me. I take a serious interest in 'reality', and try to interject it in firearms conversations from time to time. ;)

It is often a challenge, as many of you have known for a long time. Thank you for the assist.

Regards from AZ.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 27, 1999).]

BTR

I've read that, before the name became politically incorrect, pro-gun sources occasionally referred to military-style semi-autos with the name "assult rifle." So it's not necessarily an invention of the anti-gunners. A selective fire feature probably is the best definition, like you are saying.

dZ

have you seen this?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Clip and Paste from APB Online

CHICAGO COP SHOT BY ROOFTOP SNIPER
Suspect, 19, Said He Was Firing at Streetlights
July 19, 1999

By Pete Brush

CHICAGO (APBNews.com) -- A veteran West Side policeman responding to a call of shots fired was seriously wounded by a sniper's
bullet Sunday, police said today.

Shortly thereafter, police arrested a 19-year-old in connection with the shooting as he climbed from the roof of a nearby building.

Jorge Negrette of West 51st Place was charged with attempted first-degree murder on a police officer and aggravated battery with
a firearm in connection with the shooting, which took place just after 2 a.m. Sunday in the 2000 block of South Rockwell, police
spokesman Cesar Guzman said.

A Model 98 bolt-action assault rifle was found on a nearby roof after the shooting, police said. Guzman described the weapon as a
large-caliber, high-powered sniper's rifle. Ballistics tests conducted Sunday showed the trajectory of the shot to be consistent with
the location of the recovered rifle.

Bullet passed through arm, leg

Police said Negrette told them he had been trying to shoot out streetlights. It was unclear whether the suspect recognized that his
victim was a police officer, but Guzman characterized the shooting as "intentional."

Michael Ytsen, a 29-year veteran, sustained serious damage to his left forearm, Guzman said today, and will likely need major
reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. The bullet passed through the door of the car before passing through the officer's left
forearm and upper left leg and lodging in his upper right leg, Guzman said.

Guzman said today that police believe the gunfire was gang-related but did not give details.

Negrette was slated for a bond hearing today. No information was available on whether the suspect had a prior criminal record.

Pete Brush is an APBNews.com correspondent.

>>>>>
-----Begin---
CORRECTION: IDENTIFICATION OF GUN
Rifle Was Not an Assault Weapon
July 26, 1999

NEW YORK (APBNews.com) -- A July 19 report of the sniper shooting of a Chicago police officer misidentified the type of weapon
used in the crime.

The gun was a bolt-action rifle, a large-caliber, high-powered weapon.

The rifle was found on a rooftop after Michael Ytsen, a 29-year veteran, was shot in the right forearm. Jorge Negrette, 19, of West
51st Place was charged with attempted first-degree murder on a police officer and aggravated battery with a firearm in connection
with the shooting, which took place just after 2 a.m. July 18 in the 2000 block of South Rockwell, police said.