ASP 9mm - Best Compact 9mm ever?

Duxman

Has anyone ever fired an ASP 9mm? Or heard of anyone who has?

This compact 9mm is supposedly the best deep concealment weapon ever made. Along with a unique Guntersnipe sight, see through grips (for instant ammo count), no snag design.

Let me know - I would be very curious on its reliability, accuracy etc.

Handy

All of what you wrote was true - in the early 1980s. These days we have Kahrs, mini-Glocks, Rohrboughs and even production S&W autos that are just as small or much smaller.

It was a really neat custom gun in its time, and certainly still competitive, but the production lines and time have caught up.

Bare Bones

asp 9mm the best ever?

This weapon was comceptulized (?) by Paris Theodore and Maj. George C. Nonte. George was a writer for Pjs (Handgunner magazine among others) and Paris had Seventrees Holsters and other interests in this vein. They attempted,at a time when modified guns were mostly one-offs by a given smith, to market a concealment weapon for close in combat. The asp was chopped and shortened in the frame and bbl and the grips were transparent so that the shooter could visually check the loads. The actions and springs were reworked to improve the trigger and assure reliability. The slides were slotted for the guttersnipe sight, an innovation of questionable value at eye level, and that's about it as I recall.

Both parties (Nonte & Theodore) could have benefitted from a good business manager as both seemed to have trouble focusing on a single task. Initial production stuttered along and then sales started to pick up a little. As I remember it the suppliers started dropping off (maybe payment problems) and the production languished. I think later Smith & Wesson produced a similar clone for awhile, but I don't know m uch about that.

If the gun had any merit other than a cutting edge design at the time of it's manufacture. I don't know what it would be. The initial weapons (model 39's) were supplied by myself and other friends of George Nonte and much of the subsequent work and frame mods were made after they were built and shot in by the same people. It had much to reccommend it as a concealment weapon and the reliability was what you would expect from the orignal model 39. As a 7 to 12 yard gun it was acceptable. The guttersnipe sight was alright for aiming up to eyelevel, but of little use otherwise;at least to my eyes and to the other shooters with me. I know that I gave mine away to another officer who was doing drug work undercover at the time.

I guess, in summation you could say it was a good idea whose time is past.

Wildalaska

Heres a pic of one I just sold, the magazine article is courtesy of the guys who produced the pistol....ASP (the police baton guys)...

This was ratty when i found it and was beutifulyy redone by RMA

WildanintertingunitAlaska

Attachments

• 7099178ac48e195fec958c8948935d9a.jpg
    7099178ac48e195fec958c8948935d9a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 359

smince

ASP worked over the SW39, DEVEL worked over the 1911. Colt and S&W came out with factory versions, and that pretty much ended them. From what I understand, the SW 3913 was what the ASP should have been and the Colt Officers ACP/Defender and the other new compacts are better than the DEVEL offerings. I've seen articles comparing the Kimber RSP II as the modern version of the early 80's sub-compacts.

Duxman

Its too bad. The ASP is a fine looking weapon. And I have yet to find an equivalent gun that has all of its features.

Probably one of the best looking CC weapons ever made.

I guess I will have to console myself with my S&W 4013. Its third generation cousin.

Jim Watson

I don't think I ever read even a magazine article that claimed the Guttersnipe sight was accurate. Dean Grennell admitted he couldn't hit much with it at all.

Devel did some very nice looking S&Ws in addition to their 1911 work.

9mmepiphany

besides the frame/slide reduction, the guttersnipe sight and the see through grips the ASP introduced inovations in it's day.

1. teflon coating
2. polycarbonate stocks
3. rearward slanting finger rest...fits the pinky correctly
4. removal of all sharp edges
5. removal of all checkering/stippling...allows gun it fit into hand under recoil
6. magnetic retention of mags in carrier.

the one i handled was issued to a CID officer. i wanted one bad, but it was a tough nut to crack while making $1.65/hour.

smith introduced the 469 as their answer to the chopped/channeled small 9mm with extras (high cap mag)...they missed the mark. the 3914 was a better factory version. a modern evolution of the ASP is the kahr.

the main problem in the use of the guttersnipe sight in america was that it required "soft eyes/no mind". trusting the subconsious to center/balance the panels. it's like using a peep/ghostring raised to the n'th degree

Shooter 973

ASP 9mm Best Compact 9mm?

If it was the best compact 9mm ever, why did it die so quickly? Couldn't take the up and coming competition I guess..... :confused:

mrstang01

Has anybody offered the ASP style grips for the 3913? I've been looking for a good deal on a 3913 to convert to an ASP style, without the Guttersnipe sights of course, I prefer the Novaks on the 3913.

Michael

9mmepiphany

the ASP died because it was selling for about $1.2k when you could buy a smith m-39 for about $350...custom work has always been expensive.

Sturm

John Gardner, the English writer that wrote some Bond novels after Ian Flemings death, was very fond of them. He had JB carrying one in several of the novels. Of course the English perception of handguns is a little different, he also had JB, at times totin' a Super Blackhawk. I think he had the ASP part right! ;)

FP Nunes

...the ASP died as demand wained when Smith & Wesson decided to produce a cut down version of the base gun that the ASP was based on, the Model 39-2. S&W released the 469 compact after telling the original designer Paris Theordore that they couldn't see a demand for the pistol and laughed at him.

The ASP concept was way ahead of its time and was used by a few members of the intelligence community as their personal sidearm of choice. The company's phrase "Unseen in the best places..." was a more true than most will ever know. ;)

smince

...Smith & Wesson decided to produce a cut down version of the base gun that the ASP was based on, the Model 39-2. S&W released the 469 compact...

Except the 469 was based on the 59-series, which is double column. The 39-series are single stack mags.

FP Nunes

"Except the 469 was based on the 59-series, which is double column. The 39-series are single stack mags."

That would be correct. My statement referred to a compact 9mm combat auto with fore-finger pocket, bobbed tang, shortened grip, mag extension to support little finger, etc. The 459, 469, 6904, 5904, 3914, 3913, CS9, etc. are all extrapolations from ASP. The fact that some of the later models were double column does not change anything. :)