ASI Ultramax for wilderness defense?

At the end of the month, my wife and I are going to spend a week camping on our property near Toutle, WA. The good news: Blackberries will be ripe and plentiful. The bad news: Bear scat, both Black and Griz is also plentiful. I'll carry my old S&W Highway Patrolman 6" .357, but I'm thinking for things that go "Grrr" in the night, a 12-ga autoloader with mounted light would be ideal.

I've been looking at a couple of used Mossberg 930 Tacticals, but noticed that my local go-to dealer has an ASI Ultramax 12-ga with 18.5" barrel for ~$200. I've never heard of that model, but supposedly it has good reviews. Has anyone here had experience with one, reliability-wise? Also, does anyone make a magazine extension for this weapon to take it from 4+1 to 6 or 7+1?

As always, y'all's expertise is greatly appreciated! :cool:

Siggy-06

If you're looking for a cheap shotgun, that you won't have on you person at all times(I assume you'll be in a tent?), I recommend just grabbing a Maverick 88 from mossberg for under $200. Good, solid working shotgun, that you wont mind getting beat up. I've seen a few mixed reviews on the ASI, but I would stick with American, with warranty. Bear spray is also a must, and usually a far better solution.

wild cat mccane

Avid hiker here.

Ever notice no one on gun forums have personal experience with bears :)

If you want to buy a shotgun, go for it. If you aren't kidding yourself, bear spray is better.