Ashley Outdoors 24/7 tritium sights

Sea Bass

Hi,

Does anybody have the new AO 24/7 tritium night sights. I am thinking about getting these on my HK. I would appreciate any comments on these sights.

Thanks!

Mike in VA

I have a tritium Big Dot on my Ultra Carry. I've found it very fast to acquire and shoot well with. I like it a lot - it's not a target sight by any stretch, but it's easy enough to shoot accurately at combat ranges. YMMV.

Aging eyes can see the big dot. Unfortunately, it covers the face of the target and you have to aim low for head shots.

dawg23

I agree with Gary that you basically cover the target with the front sight.

But I have no idea what he's talking about when he says you "aim low for head shots."

Dawg23

Acujeff

There are many excellent sights on the market for target and long distance shooting. They narrow your vision for long distance accuracy - if you have the time, opportunity and clear field. In other words, they are great for the 50 yard range.

But in defense shooting the space is closer, the time is shorter, the adrenaline is rushing into your bloodstream and tunnel vision is kicking in, and you may have to deal with the distractions of one or more BGs, bystanders and your environment (field) for a clear and safe shot.

The AO Big Dot Sights allow you to place the front sight on the target quicker than other sights. Also, the rear sight opens up your vision better than any other sight I've seen. The AO Big Dot Tritiums are the best sights for concealed carry and shooting.

jar

I love my AO's but I like the standards more than the Big Dot. You still have the nice bar dot combo, but it isn't the size of a rising moon ;)

Dave T

It is pretty well accepted that when shooting a handgun you should focus on the front sight (unless you're from the hip shooting crowd). What isn't always understood is there is "hard focus" and "soft focus".

Hard focus is total concentration on the front sight. This is how most competition shooters focus, in part because the targets don't shoot back.

Soft foucs is seeing the front sight while seeing what's around it, because that other stuff might just kill you.

The Ashley "Express" sight system is idealy suited to the practice of soft focus. The tritium (24/7) version just extends that suitibility to poor lighting conditions.

This is my take on the subject. YMMV!