As it turns out i am a bit of a masochist

ADIDAS69

So the old man gave me what was left of his fathers Pacific DL 100. It seems to have everything save the resizing die for the brass part of the casing (husk). Does anyone know if i may use other manufacturers resizing dies for single stage presses. This machine seems to use a resizing die that is swaged onto a finished cartridge and then knocked off by the last stage. If anyone has any thoughts including should I junk it and go with a nice new one. Please feel free to put forth any useful ideas.

Thanks

I have checked out a couple web sights that would seem to have the manuals and what not, parts lists and such but i haven't been able to find the actual parts.

I don't know that press, but pull one of the dies and measure it. 7/8"-14 tpi is standard for reloading dies. Most ammunition is made with brass cases. You resize the brass cases, but don't swage completed cartridges. That would be dangerous. Instead, you machine should resize the lubricated brass case at the first position and knock the spent primer out. It should then off the opportunity to insert a new primer in the sized case. It should then drop powder in the case. You then get the opportunity to place a bullet over the charge and the next operation should seat the bullet. There may be an optional crimping step, though it can be done simultaneously with seating. Then the assembled cartridge is ejected.

Have fun.

ADIDAS69

I should have been more clear

The machine is a single stage Shotgun Shell reloading press. I found the manual online but can't seem to find parts. It does seem odd to have the resizing stage after the reloading stage but that's what it says.

azjohn

Lee load-all has sizing sleeves. You might look at MEC also. You can probably make something work. My father has a Savage shotshell loader that the sizing sleeve stays on the case to the last station. Older paper hulls were loaded on these and I think the sleeve was also to keep the hull from being deformed during crimping.

azjohn

I never said that but I'll have another beer; especially if you are buying!!! If this is what you needed to convince yourself to buy a new press go for it. That's a nice press and will fill your needs if you shoot a lot of trap or skeet. I can crank out a lot of shells on my old MEC. As always it comes down to do you want it or do you need it. You have to decide. If you look at your press and parts that are still available from MEC I think you can make your's work. Have a beer and think about it.
http://mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/600JrMark5.asp This link has a parts listing at the bottom of the page. #20 is the sizing sleeve. HTH John

Shoney

Yes, Pacific eventually became Hornady. My firstpress and dies were Pacific, and Hornady stoo behind them.

Call Hornady Customer Service at 800-338-3220, they will help you.

ADIDAS69

as it turns out

All the progressive press re-loaders won't drop anything larger than #6 shot so they're pretty useless for me. My club provides ammo when i want to make an ass out of myself in front of others. So i don't need the trap loads. I am a big fan of slugs and double 00 buck which means i need to get the Hornady sizing collet and not waste a grand setting up the 366 or the Dillon 900. The ****ty part is that i am pretty sure my ammunition is a afraid of the dark so once i have got it in the magazine (8+1 Rem. 1100) it needs to exit. So not letting go a bunch of bennies is a good thing but single stage takes so long :(

Thanks