As an LEO, what gun would you use if you could pick any gun (but had to pay for it!)?

vito

My son is an LEO who just took a part-time position with a small town police force (he works full-time for a state agency). The chief told him that he could use any pistol he wants, semi or auto, and that while he has to buy it he could get it through the department and pay the discounted rate. He formerly used a 40 cal Glock but is leaning toward one of the new S&W's. I wonder what other LEO's would pick if they had the choice of carrying ANY weapon they wanted. I offered him the temp use of my Ruger P97DC but he declined and said he is not sold on the 45 acp as the end-all be-all of calibers.

m&p45acp10+1

If he has access to try many different guns. I would reomend the one he shoots the best. For general shooting I am no fan of range rental guns. Yet if I am thinking of purchasing one, and can rent it and try it. I consider the cost of the over pried ammo a good investment if it keeps me from buying a gun I thought would be great, and turns out not to be as good as I expected.

Erik

Uniformed work? The Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 weapon mounted light. I'd carry it in a Safariland 6320 holster.

If he feels the 17 is too large for concealed carry when out of uniform, the 19 is a fine compromise.

If he is not authorized or does not care for a weapon mounted light, the same advice sans the light.

(If he prefers something chambered in .40s&w, the 17 becomes a 22 and the 19 a 23.)

If he desires a back up gun at some point, the 26 or 27 are compatible with their larger sibling's magazines.

The industry fully supports the platforms. Basically, if they don't make it for the more popular Glock models, they probably don't make it; i.e. holsters, mag carriers, etc.

The S&W M&P line, which you mentioned, would be my second recommendation. They're making strides toward challenging Glock's reputation and market share. Time will tell, but the word to date has been positive.

Best of luck to him.

Ben

3rd Gen Smith
Any Beretta
Any Glock
Any Ruger P series.

You will be safe with any of those. Shoot em first though.

Ben

WC145

I'm a LEO. I can pick any gun I want. I have to pay for my own.

I chose a S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series for my duty gun. Sure, I could buy 2 1/2 Glocks for what I paid for it, but it is the fastest shooting, most accurate (in my hands) fighting gun I've ever shot. It has never failed me and runs perfectly regardless of ammunition.
My BUG is a custom 9mm S&W 360J snubby.
My off duty piece is a Fusion 9mm 1911 CCO.

Because I pay for my own guns, I can buy what I trust and, thankfully, I'll never have to trust my life to the lowest bidder.

silvercorvette

when I became a cop I was issued a S&W .38 special revolver we weren't given a choice. I retired in 1990 but If I had the choice in 1970 or today it would be a S&W 1911.
EDIT
S&W didn't make 1911s in 1970 so it would have been a Colt in 1970 and a S&W today

Money should not be considered when your life is at stake you want the best gun money can buy.

Last edited:

shooter_john

When I got hired I was issued a Glock 22, but could carry any 9mm or 40 cal Glock I wanted to. So, I traded my piece of junk Kimber in on a Glock 35.

Even if I didn't have to carry a Glock, I would. My top three choices (for uniform carry) would be either the 34, 35, or 21SF. I am now in a plainclothes assignment and I carry a G23 (that has been modified a good bit to fit my hands better).

My back-up(s) are a Kel Tec PF-9 and/ or a J-Frame 38. I HATE baby Glocks.

ClydeFrog

My picks, practical concerns....

Hello;
There are a few solid choices in different calibers & formats.
In short, depending on his skill level, budget, size, etc I'd suggest the .357sig caliber in the S&W Military Police(with ambi safety), the SIG P229R DAK, the HK P2000 LEM, the Glock 32 .357sig.
A new, DA only well made pistol that can take tactical lights, laser aimers, etc will serve him on or off duty.
To carry a mid or full size duty pistol and a subcompact as a BUG/2nd gun is smart too. You can use the magazines in either weapon. The Glock 32 & 33 models could work or the HK P2000 & P2000sk(LEM models).
S&W does not yet make a MP sub-compact/small frame yet. :(
A well made J frame .357 or the new Ruger LCR in .357magnum or .38spl +P can be useful as a BUG or off duty.
A CT lasergrip can be a good add-on; www.Crimsontrace.com . Some prefer white-lights on sidearms but the lasergrip is more compact & fast.

tet4

Why doesn't he carry the gun he carries while on duty at his full time job? Obviously, no gun lover is going to like that answer, but if that's the one he's most familiar with, maybe that's what he should go with while he's working two jobs.

silvercorvette

Why doesn't he carry the gun he carries while on duty at his full time job? Obviously, no gun lover is going to like that answer, but if that's the one he's most familiar with, maybe that's what he should go with while he's working two jobs.

Good answer but what if there is some reason he does not like the gun he carries. Maybe it was issued by his department and some bean counter chose the cheapest gun

Xfire68

Tell him to go rent as many guns as he can at the range or if he has LEO buddy's that have gun collections he could shoot?

I would not buy any gun for LEO work that I have not shot and like the way it fits my hands. There are to many guns out there and just because a fellow LEO is using it it does not mean it is the best gun for your hands.

I really don't get why some departments limit there officers to 1 or 2 choices? Yes I know it really comes down to cost/money but, what is more important?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Been there, done that. When our dept. switched to the Glock 17, I found that I didn't really care for it. (Just personal preference, no Glock wars please! :D)

I prefer a 1911, but after the catastrophic failure of a cheaper model at a critical time, I went all out and bought a Les Baer Custom Carry. It served me well for years until I retired.

The only down side was the occasional comments from other guys not familiar with the 1911:

"Um... Er... Cap? Did you know your gun's cocked?" :D

MikeNice81

My dad's cousin is a LEO. He said, if he had his choice he would carry the Beretta 92 in the most modern edittion. His reasoning, it has tested for 25 years in the best and worst climates the armed forces can find.

He currently is issued a Glock and he likes it, but he it isn't what he would choose.

Glenn Dee

This may sound weird... but I'm with Chief...

If I had ma druthers.... I'd carry a 4 or 6 inch Model 19 .357

This opinion is based on my experiences the few years I spent in policing.

I've carried both into harms way. I recomend the revolver.

KChen986

The only down side was the occasional comments from other guys not familiar with the 1911:

"Um... Er... Cap? Did you know your gun's cocked?"

Hah, I had an officer who pulled me over while I was CCWing a 1911 ask me the same thing. "Why is the hammer back?"

The S&W seems like a solid choice. Not an LEO (so maybe I should not even be talking here), but I am thoroughly impressed with the HK P30, and would carry that, if given the choice.

rburch

Given my choice of any semi-auto...

Probably go for a CZ PCR or CZ P01. If they wanted 40sw, then the CZ P06.

Or maybe go fullsize with a CZ SP01 Tactical in 40.

bamaranger

glock 21

For me, with big hands, the high cap Glock 21. I might op for the SF model, but I've never fondled one.

The 13+1 mag capacity is pretty comforting, though you hope to never need it. The fight stopping rep of the .45 acp is more of the same, though maybe a bit overdone these days.

Simplicity in manual of arms; pull it and shoot, no DA/SA, no manual safety, no decocker.

Glocka have a heck of a reputation for tough and reliable.

Only thing I don't like is the takedown drill.

BfloBill

I trained with the Glock 22, and if I had a choice that would still be it.

That being said, the most enjoyable and accurate handgun I ever shot was a Kimber 1911 .45. I would probably stick to the Glock just due to the amount of familiarity I have with it, but I would have to consider a 1911 if I was comfortable enough with it to give up the extra capacity.