Arsenal SLR-104FR

Mokumbear

Why is this rifle technically not an AK-74?

Pretty steep price, too.

Any recommendations for an actual AK-74 of good quality under a grand?

Mokumbear

Other than not full auto and not Russian, is it essentially based on the AK-74 design?

Once again, are there good quality, less expensive options?

Last edited:

10-96

Geez, I can't believe no camera guys have jumped in here yet. Single Lens Reflex rifle... eh, just doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Fishbed77

yes OP, t is what civilian buyers consider an ak-74

any ak platform tat shoots the 5.45x39 I generally considered an ak74 variant.

The SLR-104FR is one of the best "AK-74-style" rifles you can buy. It is a Bulgarian semi-auto 5.45x39mm rifle configured very similarly to the military AK-74M.

save you some pennies an you can throw whatever stock you want on it to make it more "authentic"

The SLR-104FR has a rear trunnion dedicated for the left-side AK folding stocks, so only those stocks will work without modifying the rifle.

That said, the polymer left-side folder is one of the best AK stocks money can buy (and practically identical to the issued AK-74M stocks), so I'm not sure why anyone would spend the money for an SLR-104FR, then swap out the stock. I believe Arsenal also sells similar rifles with the steel side-folding triangle stock or fixed stock if that is more to your liking.

skizzums

I was saying to change the stock on the saiga I posted. I would also not buy a 1000 dollar rifle if I felt it needed a different stock. the saiga I posted has a rifle stock

Fishbed77

I was saying to change the stock on the saiga I posted. I would also not buy a 1000 dollar rifle if I felt it needed a different stock. the saiga I posted has a rifle stock

I agree that you will get a great AK-74-style rifle by buying a Saiga and spending $200 or so doing the pistol grip conversion & bullet guide install yourself. It's lots of fun too (having converted a 7.62x39mm Saiga myself)!

It was even a better deal about 3 years ago when the Saigas could be found for $350 or so.

Ak40Reverend

In my honest opinion, owning two arsenal rifles myself, I can tell you you will not find a better quality rifle out of the box. Buying a SAIGA rifle and slapping on 922r compliant furniture is your next best bet since that's what arsenal did with their SGL-21/31 line. In all honesty you could find a CAI rifle and have some fun fixing the issues with that unless you find one that doesn't need that much work for a lot less.

When buying an arsenal rifle you are paying for fit and finish. For practical shooters you are also paying for improved MOA. Most people are offended by the price because they just want an functional rifle which is fine. Everyone wants a functional wife too but it doesn't hurt if she looks good and is in great shape. Buying an AK now a days is a matter of perspective. Good luck finding a quality piece under 1k.

dvdcrr

You will most likely never regret buying an slr104 or 107. Regarding initial price you only cry once. Are there others cheaper. Absolutely. You most likely would be just as happy with a cur 2, sar 2, saiga 5.45, vepr 5.45. Happy shooting!