Arsenal SA M5

kcub

I just fired my Arsenal SA M5 today for the first time. Lots of fun dancing cans over the top of the berm. It worked great with circle 10 waffle mags, promag not so much. Ammo was wolf gold 55 fmj. Hard to fit longer bullets into an AK mag, no big deal in my book. I love the rifle. My range has a silly rule against 30 rifles in their tactical bays. Some idjit shot over the top and killed a cow with a 308. (Of course cows are immune to 22 bullets, right? Shhhh!) I much prefer the ammo availability of 223/5.56 over 5.45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544086200

Baba Louie

Heavy little beastie soaks up all that high power rifle cartridge energy... right?

If I may ask, what is the best accuracy to date with it / distance / round? Besides minute of soda can on yon berm... of course.

As I age, I prefer water filled milk jugs (bigger = easier to hit), but have slain many an empty soda can in my prime I will admit.

They're not "cheap commie guns" anymore... are they? Bastards learned a little capitalism... and make a pretty nice, heavy, self loading rifle. With crappy sights... (for older eyes).

kcub

All I've done is off hand soda cans at 25 yards so far but the guy I bought it from says it will out group his AR with comparable sight/optics. He has another Arsenal with side rail and some kind of cheap $200 Commie scope.

kcub

Regarding milled vs. stamped, I can't tell a big difference at 25 yards either in terms of weight or shootability, but I've never had them out together at the same time. I may try that some day.

Within this link they mention differences from the Arsenal horse's mouth who make and sell both:

MILLED

General statement: A properly manufactured MILLED receiver is superior in all aspects to a stamped receiver, for the following reasons:

1. Rigidity. It doesn’t get any more rigid than this.
2. Strength. Considerably more tensile, shear, cross stress strength. Milled, forged steel is just plain stronger and more durable than any stamped assembly (regardless of how “thick” the stamping is).
3. Part/action alignment. The part and action alignment is consistent throughout the life cycle of the rifle. Being milled from one piece, there is nothing in the frame to loosen or shift out of alignment.
4. Much more stable platform. Fixed mating surfaces ensure alignment and function.
5. Longer service life. Stronger, more rigid, consistently aligned frame retards part wear and extends service life of action parts.

Disadvantage: Milled receiver AK is heavier than stamped receiver type. This is offset by slightly more controllability and less recoil from heavier weapon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAMPED

General statement: STAMPED receiver rifles are less costly to manufacture and thus can be offered for a lower price. Other advantages over MILLED receiver rifles are:

1. Lower weight.
2. Higher production due to reduced manufacturing time.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7114