Arsenal AK--worth it?

glockopop

I'm strongly considering getting an Arsenal AK, probably in .223. I like that I can get it in .223 and that it apparently has a nice trigger. Also I was in Bulgaria for a couple weeks this summer, so I kind of want a "Bulgarian" gun. Haven't actually fired one yet. Mostly I kind of want something unique, and I prefer an AK over an AR design.

Does anybody actually have one of these and can tell me if it's worth paying twice as much for?

jeo556

I have two and they are the cat's meow of Ak's. That said, the trigger on my SLR isn't really that great, even by AK standards, but its also Arsenals low line of rifles. It doesn't have any "trigger slap" which is a good thing as some SAR's have hideous "trigger slap". I also have a SA-M7 that has a awesome trigger(by Ak standards) but I don't ever shoot her, she's too pretty and rather rare. If you are looking for a nice Ak you will not be sorry with Arsenal's.

Jeo556

Dfariswheel

Most people consider the Arsenal rifles to be about the top of the line in a "factory" produced rifle.

There are custom builders like AK-USA that turn out top rifles, but of the more or less production rifles, Arsenal makes probably the most consistent quality AK's.

The company was started to serve as the American outlet for rifles built from Bulgarian factory supplied parts.
They brought over Bulgarian factory gunsmiths and a manager to run it.
Lately, I've heard a complaint or two about their metal finish process, but that's about it.
Most people say the quality is the best.

chris in va

My friend has a 3 year old Arsenal milled receiver x39. Trigger is much better than other AK's I've fired, but holy cow that thing is heavy.

Frankly I think you'd be better off modding a Saiga. for $400 instead of plunking down $750. My Saiga is just as accurate and reliable as his, but I only paid $250 for mine and it's lighter. Chrome lined bore too.

TPAW

I bought my Arsenal Sam 7 (milled receiver) in 7.62x39 when they were around $475.00. It's flawless and very accurate. With the original sights at 100 yards, I can shoot 2 to 3 inch groups from the bench. I'm thinking of puting a scope on it for deer hunting?

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7carbine.htm

kfb2b

you can buy the basic action made elsewhere for much cheaper, but the Arsenal is the Caddy of Ak's for good reason, and if you take a good look at the stuff like heatshield handguards and that cool folding stock + AK103-type brake, you aren't that far away in price to a Romanian gun when you put all that on it, and in the end the Arsenal will hold it's value MUCH better

So overall, if you have it to spend, then certainly and without doubt, it is.

kfb2b

oh - forgot to mentione that if you use the recommended mags you will have no probs with the 223 guns, but there are alot of various mags out there, like AK74 and Galil & Chinese 223 AK mags that fit the well, but might not feed that well.