AR's and Optics

gunzblazin

Hello Forum! I have an AR with an Aimpoint ML2 red dot optic. I love it but I'm not a huge fan of relying on batteries. I am always on the lookout for something new and exciting. I was wondering if anyone has any comments regarding their favorite optics for a carbine length AR. I have always wanted an ACOG but they are just too stinkin expensive. Are they worth the money? Has anyone used the Trijicon Tri-power? How about the Meprolight sight? Anyone have any experiences with IOR's low magnification optics? Of course there are the EOTech Holosights? Pictures of any of these optics mounted on an AR are very welcome.

P.S. The first question asked is always, "what are you going to use the rifle for?" Most likely only target shooting, but you never do know when those Canadians might attack.

rellascout

Get an ACOG. It is worth it.

I recently picked up a TA11F and it is worth every penny. I had an Eotech and sold it after 2 range sessions. It was too blurry IMHO.

Lots of positives about the Tripower but have not tried it myself.

xrocket

Now that you asked .... I recently purchased a Sig 556 and I'm waiting for delivery. After much research I chose to go with a Trijicon Accupoint in 1.25x4x24. I'll be mounting it in a Larue Lt-139-1QD forward mount.

My reasoning is:

No batteries needed

Long eye relief

Low mount

Both eyes open use on low power for full field view

A focusable up to 4x24 power for intermediate target work

And a reasonable mid-range cost

I'm sure there are many other choices out there such as Burris and Leupold, but I believe the Accupoint will do all I need.

Hope that gives you a line to follow up on. Good luck and good shooting.

10-96

Well, ya'll are about to find out just what kind of el-cheapo I am...
I too went in search for a cheaper/different/durable looker to put on my AR. I went with a diamond reticle shotgun scope. I had no idear it would work out so well. For coyote shootin, if the critter is in the diamond- then it's pretty much a fast acquisition to the kill zone. The shotgun scope is small, light weight, durable, good in not so great light. The silly things work abso-freakin-lutely great! Since then, I've put one on not only my AR, but also my Camp 9, and on my M1A. As funny as it sounds- I don't have one on any of my shotguns.

Jermtheory

ive been looking at a few Leupold's,the ACOG,and an Aimpoint....

but i think im going to go with the Accupoint as well.

seems like the best of both worlds.not perfect for close range or greater distances...but well rounded enough to be good for both.

ive had a hard time finding anything else that would fit that description without going from 2x-4x the cost of the Accupoint.

amber or red is the question now...and whether or not i wanna spend arround $200 to mount it(IIRC the cost of the LaRue).

MTMilitiaman

The Marines call the ACOG the RCO. It isn't the best for room clearing stuff, but for engaging medium distance targets all the way out to 500+ yards, it is an awesome setup on the M16, and makes hitting on demand very easy. The optics are bright, the ACOG is durable, and the features are useful. The only bad thing about it, IMO, is that the version I am familiar with has an eye relief of less than two inches.

I am slowly saving for a Para Congo FAL from DS Arms. It will have an ACOG on it, if I can afford the thing. The ACOG is worth it, IMO, but is still expensive.

HorseSoldier

Another +1 on saving up for the ACOG versus other options. A basic sort of model like the 01NSN may have some drawbacks for CQB ranges (mainly it's a little slower, also harder to shoot accurately on the move compared to an ACOG), but it really makes the AR into a 0-600 kind of gun on the range (combat mileage may vary at the far end, but that's stress and moving targets, not the scope or weapon).

If you're looking for a good CQB optic plus a longer range shooter, you could always retrofit a J-Point of Docter optic on top of it, or spend some extra money for one of the versions with the fiber optic channel. The chevron reticle models are basically as fast as a red dot when stationary.

theberettaman

I'm using a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on my SHTF carbine.I've got an ACOG on my 'door-kicker' but for my 'man about town" set-up,it works just as reliable.It's medium priced around $150-$200.For killing paper terrorists and suicidal milk jugs it's a cost effective subsitute.Keeps 0 just fine,co-witnesses with the iron's and really stingy on batteries.
Cnv0062.jpg

HappyGunner

I both and EOTech.553 using 123A Surefire batteries and The ACOG TA11F 3.5x35. I use the EOTech for night the ACOG for daytime both are great both work for tight groups. If you use 123A Surefire batteries you will notice they last a long time.;)

MTMilitiaman

Great article Zak.

What is your opinion of a 3.5x ACOG with a small rail mounted laser on a momentary switch for closer engagements?

Zak Smith

A DrSight is the way to go if you need a very fast close-range secondary optic. Alternatively, just train to index/point shoot and acquire a sight picture through/around the TA11 quickly. That's how BAC is supposed to work-- both eyes open.

If your issue is with relying on batteries, then get an Aimpoint CompM4 red dot sight. It has a battery life of 8 years, yes, 8 years and it uses regular old "AA" batteries which are available almost everywhere. If the SHTF, you can get the batteries at any Turkey Hill, Wawa, 7-11, Nice 'n Easy, etc. Everyone stocks/sells these batteries, but actually, you will not even need a new one for the first 8 years after the SHTF.

USMCG_HMX1

The ACOG/RCO is great. I've popped targets with it and it makes it too easy to hit them. As others have said, its more for intermediate to long range work but it does this EXTREMELY well.

I've also used the EOTech 512 (uses standard AA batteries) and for close up work, room clearing, and working out to 200 to 300 yards it's fantastic.

Kris