Army .45 ACP history?

hickok45

I just purchased a pretty cool .45 Government Model. I mean a REAL Government Model, in that it was Army Issue. The fellow I purchased it from said that he got it from a fellow who carried it in the Pacific Theatre (WWII) as a mine sweeper and brought it back with him.

The question is, is anybody aware of a web site where I can research the serial number, at least to the point where I can narrow it down to the year it was manufactured and shipped? The fellow said 1942 or 1943.

I know I can get the expensive letter from Colt. At least I assume they do this for army contract guns, but I'd really just like to get the exact year of manufacture for now. Surely there's a site where I can find this, though I haven't been able to locate one. Here's the serial number in case someone has a wonderful reference you'd access for me:

It's a 1911A1 with serial # 894878

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

RWK

G. Glock,

Right here on TFL, Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research can likely provide the information you'd like.

Steven Mace

G. Glock, your serial number indicates a 1943 year of manufacture. Both Colt & Ithaca shared serial numbers in this range. For an Ithaca version the left side of the slide will be marked, "ITHACA GUN CO.,INC./ITHACA, N.Y.". Otherwise it will be of Colt manufacture. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical