Armscor's .45 ACP, 230 grain FMJ Ammo

Sarge

I recently received some of Armscor’s 230 grain, full metal jacket .45 ACP ammunition for testing & evaluation. It comes packaged 50 rounds to the blue, folded cardboard box and the bullet itself has a brass-colored jacket. Overall length is uniform and the crimp is firm.

Armscor_1.jpg

Rock Island Armory is one of Armscor’s product lines and it seemed appropriate to test this ammunition in a pistol by the same maker. So I set up my old Chrony Beta Master, five feet in front of the 25 yard line and turned loose the first five shots. The numbers shake out like this:

High and low shots were 854 and 883 feet per second (fps) respectively. Average velocity from the five-inch barrel was 866 fps. The extreme spread of five shots was 27.44 fps with a standard deviation of 11.04. This is good, potent hardball ammo and the numbers indicate consistency in the loading process.

My portable range table has seen better days and it has a little wobble to it. I fired those first five shots with the gun rested over my poor old, powder-burnt range bag. All but one of them broke clean and I could tell the front sight was a little high when it went… so I’ll eat the flier that made the group 2 ¾ inches. The four I didn’t screw up went into barely an inch and a quarter … which is as good as this pistol has shot with anything. The only accuracy work I’ve done on this nickel Rock Island 1911A1 is to fit the stock, 0.003”-over bushing to the slide. Several other groups were essentially repeats of this performance; barely over an inch for the shots that I didn’t screw up.

ArmscorTgt_1.jpg

Feeling brave, I fired five more rounds at the above target, again from 25 yards; but this time from the ‘Bullseye’ or ‘Duelist’ stance. Four of those rounds went into 3 inches, with my standard flier opening the group to about 5 inches.

ArmsxorTgt_2.jpg

This is accurate .45 ammo that made me bust my hump to ‘shoot up’ to it, from what is essentially a GI 1911A1. I would not be at all ashamed to shoot a match with it, whether it was action or bullseye. Wish I had a pallet of this stuff to further ‘evaluate’!

Silent Bob

Those boxes look different then the ones I am familiar with, and I heard a rumor that API was starting domestic production of ammo here in the States. Do the boxes state if the ammo is made in the P.I. or here? Thanks in advance.

Sarge

Bob, according to www.ammosupplywarehouse.com "Armscor USA is their line of ammo that is Manufactured right here in the USA." Mine was in the pictured boxes and marked Armscor USA, but it bears no reference to where it is made.