Armscor Ammo-Any Good?

BarkeyVA

I have an opportunity to buy some Armscor .38 Special ammo mostly for target practice at a very good price. I've never used it. Is it any good?

couldbeanyone

I have no experience with armscor centerfire ammo, but as no one has replied, I guess I will share my experience with their rimfire ammo. I got 500 rounds of armscor 22lr ammo cheap. It all went bang, but was very dirty and not very accurate. It didn't seem to unduly lead my barrel. Thats about all I got. Maybe someone else will chime in soon.

BarkeyVA

Just checked the specs for Armscor and Federal American Eagle .38 Special FMJ ammo. The Federal ammo is about $1.00/box more.

Armscor 125 gr. 1875 fps muzzle velocity, 984 ft. lb. muzzle energy

American Eagle: 130 gr. 950 fps muzzle velocity, 250 ft. lb. muzzle energy

I have a recently acquired GP-100 revolver and am a new handgun shooter. Using the ammo for target practice, it seems to me that the Armscor, being a lot hotter would have significantly more recoil than the American Eagle Ammo. Any comments?

Webleymkv

Just checked the specs for Armscor and Federal American Eagle .38 Special FMJ ammo. The Federal ammo is about $1.00/box more.

Armscor 125 gr. 1875 fps muzzle velocity, 984 ft. lb. muzzle energy

American Eagle: 130 gr. 950 fps muzzle velocity, 250 ft. lb. muzzle energy

I'm afraid you've got your specs mixed up. While your figures for Federal are correct, the velocity you list for Armscor is for their .357 Magnum ammo, not their .38 Special. Armscor 125grn .38's are listed at 1050fps velocity for 306 ft.lbs of energy from a 4" barrel (the same length as Federal)

http://www.armscor.com.ph/centerfire_pistol.htm

Also, it is worth of note that while most U.S manufacturers list their .357 Magnum velocities from a 4" barrel, Armscor lists theirs from a 10" barrel.

As to the OP's question, I've shot some of their 124grn 9mm FMJ before and didn't notice the accuracy, reliability, or cleanliness of it as being noticeably different from WWB, UMC, American Eagle, Blazer, S&B, Fiocchi, or any other common practice ammo. If I found some for a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

BarkeyVA

Webleymkv,

Thanks for the clarification. I got the Armscor .38 Special specifications off the Target Sports USA web site. They obviously posted the wrong data.

woad_yurt

I tried their 9MM all-lead rounds once and it leaded up my Star so badly and so quickly that I'm lucky the gun didn't blow up. It took hours to clean that gun. Never again. They should know that 9MM requires a much harder alloy than what they used, which felt and acted just like pure, soft lead.

Since .38 SPL moves so much more slowly, I guess it would be ok. But, personally, I wouldn't recommend Armscor to anyone after my leading fiasco.

BarkeyVA

I ordered a case of 1000 (20 boxes) Armscor 38 Special 125 gr. FMJ ammo from Target Sports USA yesterday (3/14/11). Just got an email to let me know it shipped today (3/15/11) via UPS Ground. Price was $259.80 ($12.99/box) with Free Shipping.