Armscor .50 AE 300gr GDHP in Clear Balistics Gel.

5pins

Test Gun: Magnum Research Desert Eagle.

Barrel length: 6 inches.

Ammunition: Armscor .50 AE 300gr GDHP .

Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.

Distance: 10 feet.

Chronograph:

Velocity: 1250 fps (Per Manufacturer).

Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

I had some issues with the chronograph so I don't have any velocity on this round but the factory claims 1250fps so we will just go with that. As you could image, a 300gr bullet at 1250fps has a pretty stout recoil but the heft of the Desert Eagle at almost four and a half pounds makes it enjoyable.

Last time I checked game animals are not wearing clothing so I just did two rounds in bare gel. Both rounds penetrated 22 inches of gel. The first round had a recovered diameter of .82 inches and the second came in at .81 inches. The recovered weight came in at 300.3 and 300.4 grains.

buck460XVR

Ammunition: Armscor .50 AE 300gr GDHP

Last time I checked game animals are not wearing clothing so I just did two rounds in bare gel. Both rounds penetrated 22 inches of gel. The first round had a recovered diameter of .82 inches and the second came in at .81 inches. The recovered weight came in at 300.3 and 300.4 grains.

Speer does not make a Gold Dot for .50 AE, only a Deep Curl, which is designed specifically for deep penetration in big game. Gold Dots are specifically made for SD against two legged predators and are intended more for quick expansion. I use .300 gr Deep Curls for hunting with my .460. My loads run about 1800FPS. They are good stuff.

buck460XVR

Great performance. Didn't Speer simply rename the "Gold Dot Hunting" to "Deep Curl"? I believe they are the same bullets.

Yes, it was done to avoid the confusion between their hunting grade and their SD grade bonded HP bullets. Everything else stayed the same, even the product numbers. Confusion mainly stemmed from calibers that had bullets designed for both, i.e., .357. Folks would think the 125 Gold Dots were for hunting deer just as the 158s were and vice versa. Some folks thought because the 125 GDs were a great SD bullet, they figured the 158 GD was too, but not so.

disseminator

Yes, it was done to avoid the confusion between their hunting grade and their SD grade bonded HP bullets. Everything else stayed the same, even the product numbers. Confusion mainly stemmed from calibers that had bullets designed for both, i.e., .357. Folks would think the 125 Gold Dots were for hunting deer just as the 158s were and vice versa. Some folks thought because the 125 GDs were a great SD bullet, they figured the 158 GD was too, but not so.

Makes sense. I shoot a LOT of Speer Bullets myself, I'm a big fan of them for SD or Hunting.