Armorer Training ???

USMCG_HMX1

I know this is gonna be an oddball question, and it's probably not in the right forum either so here goes.

I'm looking into a possible career change and becoming an armorer. How would one go about getting training to work for a government position in this field?

What I'm looking for is some kind of certification program and/or field recognized degree/diploma/cert for being an armorer for state or federal organizations or possibly some other federally affiliated entity.

Thanks.

Kris

Jaeger

I don't think that most agencies hire dedicated civilian aromorers. I think the armorers usually come from within the ranks of firearms instructors. I may be wrong but that's how all the local agencies that I am aware of do it.

epr105

Depends what you want to do. All firearms company's that sell LEO products have a Armorer certification. My department uses Smith and Wesson, Colt and Glock. There is no one course for the certification. There are gunsmith courses but they are generalized. Jaeger is right most departments send the Firearms Instructors. Some of the companies will have classes that you can pay to go to such as the Smith and Wesson academy.
Ed

USMCG_HMX1

The reason I'm asking is because there is a pretty good chance that a facility is going to be built nearby me, and I want to get on the band wagon before they start building it. Primarily what I'm looking for is going to be along the lines of AR-16/M-16 and possibly the MP5.

That and for some reason Information Technology just doesn't pay well in Boise, so I figured I can combine my hobby (weapons) with a new job.

Kris