Armi San Marco .44 cal. cap & ball (Modeled after Colt 1860 Army)

ilbob

I suspect the answers I will get from the purists will be to pass, but I am interested in getting into some BP shooting and have an opportunity to acquire the aformentioned firearm for $125. I am told it has been fired, but only a few times.

Any thoughts? I seem to recall that the manufacturer has gone out of business. Does that matter any?

Doc Hoy

KWHI + 1

Hard to go wrong at that price.

I have two ASM 1858 Remington clones and I like them both. One is a steel frame and the other is a brass frame. They are easily equal to Pietta in quality.

I also just finished restoring an ASM 1863 Remington and I found that parts are hard to get. I wound up using Pietta parts and fitting them with a lot of shaping.

Parts for the 1860 may be easier to get and if not, you may find that parts from an alternate manufacturer are easier to adapt than they were on the smaller 1863. On the other hand, it is not likely you will need anything for it if it has not been fired very much. Not a bad idea to have a spare trigger/bolt spring.

I think that pistol, in that caliber is a good place to start.

Let us know how you like it.

Fingers McGee

What they said.

Thoughts: Good price and should do you fine - as long as you're not gonna put a couple hundred rounds a month through it.

ASM is long out of business, and parts are few & far between though.

FM