armalite ar10 carbine vs PTR91F

4thPoint

Only between those two? Probably the AR10.
Commonality of operations and (likely) more parts available. The PTR is going to be 'how you bought it' aside from H&K accessories.

MC 1911

For me it was the PTR 91 hands down. I have 2, 16" & 18". Both have been problem free & mags are about $4.00 apiece!!

Knight cadet

I'm guessing you mean a .308 AR 15, not an AR10. They are completely different rifles.

I've shot a DPMS .308 AR 15 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've also shot a CETME (not a PTR), it shot OK but I din't like the controls and I've heard that it's hard on brass.

1) Accuracy: very similar, but the AR gets a slight edge
2) Ergonomics: AR, it wasn't even close.
3) ease to mount a scope: AR
4) ammo sensitivity: both have issues, but for different reasons.
5) parts availability: AR
6) ease of repair: AR
7) price: CETME
8) magazine availability and price: CETME
9) familiarization: AR
10) life expectancy: AR

NWCP

I own an HK91. Great battle rifle. I haven't hunted with mine although it is accurate enough and has the ability to take anything your .308 bolt will. I use a CZ 550FS .308 for hunting. The 91 is rugged, very reliable and battle accurate. It's not a target rifle. HK made another version for snipers. I've had no ammo issues with mine. Of the clones I would go with the PTR. I'm not a fan of the CETME. If you can afford it the HK is the way to go, but they don't come cheap. Oh, almost forgot. They are hard on the brass and they tend to sling the brass to the moon. I don't reload so it's a non issue, but they don't have a problem ejecting spent cartridges that's for sure. They are a handsome rifle IMO and though a bit heavy they balance well and the weight aids in absorbing some of the recoil. Magazines are cheap and they tend to draw a crowd of onlookers when you air them out. Just my 2 cents worth.

hodaka

No, the Armalite is an AR10. DPMS can't use the name AR10 so theirs is an LR-308. I have never heard of an AR-15 308. although some may call them that. I own two LR-308's, have owned a PTR and a long time ago had a HK91. My buddy has a AR10. I don't think there is much difference between the HK and the PTR. I think the PTR may be a bit more accurate but that may simply be my memory. The biggest difference is price. CTME's, although copies, are not in the same class as either of the others. My DPMS is the heavy barrel version and not really comparable to the Armalite carbine. I would hate to carry the DPMS on a hunting trip, especially if elevation changes was involved. Between the two that you have named, I believe I would go with the Armalite due to ergonomics and weight. Nothing wrong with the PTR though.

Tucker 1371

I would go with a .308 caliber AR of a different manufacture. Armalite AR10s use weird mags, kind of a modified M14 mag, if you bought something like a Sig 716 you could use SR25 mags to include 7.62 PMAGs. PTR is hard to put an optic on, hard on brass, and slightly heavier.

The modularity of the AR gives it a huge edge over the PTR in my book.

Knight cadet

hodoka the AR 10 is a totally different rifle than the .308 AR15. There is no parts compatonility between the R 10 and AR 15, but 80% parts compatibility between the .308 and 5.56 AR 15s.

The Army recently adopted the M110 as the replacement for the M14. It is based on a 7.62x52 AR15 designed by Knights Armaments. DPMS's .308 AR uses the Knightsdesign for their rifle. Nothing from an AR10, including magazines, will work on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Semi-Automatic_Sniper_System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-10

This is the one like I shot:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-SPORTICAL_ep_97-1.html
Awesome gun!

marine6680

Tucker... Armalite recently released several models that use pmags. So no need for special magazines if you get one of those.

Houndog

I owned both an AR10 and a PTR. I sold the PTR. For me the AR10 has much better ergonomics, is more fun to shoot and has the edge in accuracy.

Nothing wrong with the PTR. It is a well made gun. It is reliable. It is reasonably accurate. And the mags are cheap. However, they are difficult to scope and I could never get comfortable shooting it.

Also, not to confuse your life further, but there are a couple of other alternatives you might consider. I also own a FAL and it is a great rifle. You might also consider AR10 style rifles made by someone other than Armalite. I know DPMS is popular and I think they have the reputation for being pretty accurate. For a little more money you could consider a piston AR in 308. POF, LMT and PWS all make worthy contenders. I think Sig and Ruger also offer models, although I know less about them.

Wyosmith

The G-3 clones like the PTR are good. In fact the PTR is excellent. But as with the originals it had a trigger that's not so good for accuracy work, a safety that can't be used my a mortal man without taking your hand out of the shooting position, and the bolt doesn't lock open on the last shot.

I can't get around the safetys on G-3s. The triggers can be smoothed up to a point they are "only poor" instead of extreamly poor. Not locking open on the last shot is a feature you can learn to deal with. The AK-47 doesn't either, but you can get used to that.

The AR10 is more accurate, and the user-frindlyness is as good as an AR-15. But I owned one and it could NEVER get it to go more than about 15 rounds without a jam. The G-3 is WAy more reliable. The AR10 can be had with an excellent trigger. I know men that own them and say there rifles doesn't jam much, but I sure could not get mine to work.

So....
My answer?
Ruger SR762.

2nd choise?
FN-FAL!
FAL's are a bit heavy, but other than that they are great.
Avoid the ones imported by CAI however.
Get a good one.
Arizona Response or DSA, or a used Springfield (Imbel) or the original FN from Belgium. Some of the British L1-A1s are good and so ser the Israeli’s but again, make sure it was built by someone that knows how to do it right, and make sure you get a new or like new barrel for good accuracy.

Scubasimmons

What exactly is a .308 AR15? And which parts are interchangeable between 5.56 and .308 AR15s? Mags? No. Lowers? No. Uppers? No. Buffer tube and spring? Maybe (slash?). BCG? No. My understanding is the AR10 is armalite, the LR308 is DPMS and LAR is everyone else and parts are generally not interchangeable among the platforms. I prefer the short action AR15 with its multitude of caliber offerings and part compatibility.

To the OPs question I wouldnt pick either for hunting, there are lighter offerings, but maybe you car hunt. Not sure what your money situation us, but trying to buy one gun to do many things usually results in it doing nothing well. Bolt gun for hunting, AR or PTR for fun and defense.

Knight cadet

OK, here is a list I found of all the parts on an AR15. I put a star (*) next to the parts that aren't interchangeable and a dash (-) next to the parts that aren't present in the .308 version. All other parts should interchange.

This is the best I could do with my research, I'm not what most here would call an expert, so feel free to correct me. My point is that there are NO parts that interchange between an M16 and AR 10, but a buttload of parts that interchange between a M110 and an AR 15. Calling the civilian version of the M110 a .308 AR 15 is much more accurate than calling it the name of a rifle which has no commonality with other than caliber and general appearance.

As I stated above, the M110 is the military version of Knight's SR25. DPMS copied the SR25 with a few small changes varying on specific model, so you can't call them an SR25 either, RRA makes their versions with different names and similar concept with alot of common parts with the M16, but the uppers and lowers are different from the SR25, so they can't be called SR 25s either.

I found this website: http://308ar.com/ and they differentiate the main types of models as SR25, AR10A, AR10B, and .308AR.

You'd learn alot more there I'm sure.

*Stripped Upper receiver
*ejection port cover
detent ball
ejection port cover spring
*ejection port cover pin
pin retaining ring
-forward assist plunger
-pawl spring pin
-forward assist pawl (w/ pawl spring and detent)
-forward assist spring
-forward assist spring pin
*barrel
gas block (different gas blocks mount differently i.e. taper pins or screws)
handguard cap (if using two piece handguards)
flash suppressor or muzzle brake (peel washer/lock washer/crush washer depending on type)
delta ring assembly (if using two piece handguards)
handguard snap ring
weld spring
delta ring
barrel nut
gas tube (length dependant on barrel)
gas tube roll pin
handguards
*Charging handle stripped
charging handle latch
latch pin
latch spring
*bolt carrier
*firing pin
*firing pin retaining pin
*cam pin
*gas rings (3)
*bolt
*extractor
*extractor spring
*extractor spring insert (or o-ring)
*extractor pin
*ejector
*ejector roll pin
*ejector spring
*Stripped lower
pistol grip
lock washer
pistol grip screw
safety detent spring
safety detent
*takedown pin
takedown pin detent (need 2, also the pivot pin detent)
takedown pin detent spring (need 2, also the pivot pin detent spring)
buffer retainer
buffer retainer spring
hammer w/ j pin (j pin keeps your hammer pin from drifting)
hammer spring
safety selector
bolt catch
bolt catch roll pin
bolt catch plunger
bolt catch plunger spring
magazine catch
pivot pin
disconnector spring
disconnector
trigger
trigger spring
-trigger guard
-trigger guard pivot roll pin
magazine release button
magazine catch spring
hammer/trigger pin (need 2)

IF CARBINE:
buffer tube
receiver end plate
castle nut
*carbine length buffer spring
*carbine buffer
carbine stock

IF RIFLE:
rifle length buffer tube
*rifle length buffer spring
*rifle buffer
stock

Last edited:

Houndog

Best FAL? See Wyosmith post. I basically agree with everything he said. Can't go wrong with a DSA. If you can still find an Imbel parts kit, that's another option.

For all things FAL visit falfiles.com. To me the FAL give you the best combination of ergonomics, reliability and accuracy. Not quite as accurate or ergonomic as an Armalite AR 10, but will be more reliable.

If you like the AR10/AR15 ergonomics, I would look into some of the other makers. DPMS, S&W MP10 on the low end. SIG and Ruger for a mid priced piston option. And POF, PWS, LMT, LWRC at the higher end. Or a Knights Armament if you hit the lottery.:D