Arkansas Gun/Knife laws

seeker_two

Can anyone tell me what Arkansas law says about carrying a pistol in your vehicle? I'm travelling there in a few weeks, and I wanted to know if the law was similar to Texas law (legal to carry in car w/o permit).

Also, is there any prohibition to carrying a folding knife on your person? In particular, the 3.5" CRKT folder (not assisted opening)...is this OK under AR law?

Many thanks in advance.... :D

zoomie

Don't take legal advise from me, but here's what I think is the applicable statute:
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/Searc...sultPage.aspx?name=5-73-120.Carrying a weapon.
5-73-120.Carrying a weapon.

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.

(c)It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:
(4)The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon;

History.Acts 1975, No. 696, § 1; 1981, No. 813, § 1; A.S.A. 1947, § 41-3151; Acts 1987, No. 266, § 1; 1987, No. 556, § 1; 1987, No. 734, § 1; 1995, No. 832, § 1; 2003, No. 1267, § 2; 2005, No. 1994, § 293.

seeker_two

Sounds pretty vague....kinda like the old "traveler's defense" that Texas used to have....

How does AR law enforcement typically enforce it?....esp. in the Hot Springs area where I'll be traveling by car (no flying for me, thanks)?....

Dust Monkey

You should be ok on the knife. I carry the same knife. As far as traveling laws, I really don't know. You should call Arkansas State Police and ask, they are very helpful, Hot Springs PD is helpful as well.

JasonW

Do you have a Texas permit?

Arkansas reciprocates with Texas and a Texas permit is honored in Arkansas. Arkansas reciprocates with 30 other states. As far as on a journey goes, the case law is from the 1870's on that. It is interpreted hundreds of different ways by Arkansas courts. As far as the knife goes, you are OK.

Jason
Exec. VP, Arkansas Concealed Carry Association