Arizona open carry

American4guns

Howdy All
I'll be going to Arizona in September and I'm wondering if Non-resident open carry is legal?Also I will be taking two hand guns that i would pack in my checked luggage.I want to take my AR aswell and want to know the best way to get it there.Is shipping ahead of time a better choice then trying to pack it and do I have to ship to a FFL?

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
You mentioned checked baggage. Are you going by plane, train, or bus? IIRC, federal regulations are different for each.

Regardless, check with your carrier to find out their rules as they are often more strict than the fedgov's.

American4guns

Perhaps I gave to much info.I really just wanted to know if open carry is legal for non residents in AZ and if i'm better off shipping my AR:D

paratrooper

Mostly the law allows open carry . The town of Tombstone does not allow it along with some businesses (banks) or City Hall etc . As to just wandering around armed it's no big thing . You can also get a CCW for AZ just by taking the class , shooting the target and not your foot , and of course MONEY . Total is about $125 +/- . Contact a gun store that does the class and make a deal . The CCW will be good in AZ and any state that recognizes the AZ permit . You need only be a legal resident of the US . I know where you can do it in Kingman .

JoshB

+1 on open carry. It just makes sense some times. I'd definately get a permit as it can be a bit of a hassle sometimes.

American4guns

Thanks for the info on the open carry Paratrooper.I already got my non- resident Utah permit which allows me to carry in AZ.I wont be to far from Kingman.I'm visting family in White Hills area.I guess i'll ship My Ar as opposed to taking it down and packing it in my bag.

kennybs plbg

If a New Yorker with a conceled carry permit were to move to Arizona would he be required to take classes again for a ccw. Here in NY our permits are lifetime, are Classes in Arizona required say every renewel.

Also bringing other firearms into Arizona (rifles etc.), would they need to be registered? If you don't apply for a ccw right away, do hand guns brought into the state need to be registered?

Thanks, I might be heading that way and it would be nice to know.

kenny b

paratrooper

Kenny ,
You can call a fella named Pierre at ON TARGET in Kingman AZ for better info . The number is 1-928-753-4314 . Just off the top of my head I believe there is a class at every renewal but he would know best . Good luck .

Paul B.

Beware the open carry trap in AZ. While open carry is perfectly legal, if you have your handgun in your holster in a motor vehicle and you get stopped by a cop and he cannot see it because your body is in the way, then it is considered to be concealed. Utter BS I know, but an activist judge set the precedent and there you go. :mad: The cop stopping the guy called it conceal and the judge went along with it.
I double checked on thei with my LEO ex-son-in-law and he corroborated this
Paul B.

paratrooper

Paul B's scenario begs the question . Why don't you get a CCW ??? It's not rocket science to do the class and hit a target close to you . The only thing I can see stopping someone is a bad record which in itself might preclude a CCW . A guy I know in Kingman told me that he was suprised that he got his . He had beat a guy in a fight in CA and was actually charged and convicted of Disorderly Conduct . He got it and never looked back . I saw another fella at a Home Show carrying outside in a high belt holster . He was also wearing a vest/jacket kinda thingy that made the gun play hide and seek . Now you see it , now you don't . When I asked him he just said "It's OK , I got a permit." It seems a small price to pay to get the CCW so to not have any problems due to outside influences .