Arizona Gun Law Questions

scorpion_tyr

This is NOT related to recent events. I tried to look it up myself but due to the recent events all google gave me was news stories and conflicting information.

So here's the question:

My wife and I will be taking a trip to see the Grand Canyon sometime this year. We are both Texas residents and we'll be staying for a few days in the Flagstaff, AZ area. Neither of us have a CCL.

While in Arizona can we concealed and/or open carry handguns?

(A link to the actual state laws would be nice since google failed me.)

egor20

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Constitutional Carry In Arizona
Arizona has passed what they are calling “Constitutional Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. This new law becomes effective July 29, 2010. Those who wish to carry in Arizona without a permit/license from AZ or any other state can not carry in the places listed in the “Places Off Limits Even With a Permit’ section below. Arizona did not remove other restrictions in their law when they passed Constitutional Carry. If you choose to carry without a permit from Arizona or any other state you must also abide by the following restriction.

OPC

egor20 is spot on ... with the caveat that Tribal Councils (reservations), including those in the Grand Canyon area, are free to make their own laws pertaining to firearms. Most do not allow carry. Tough research to do, so I advise diligence in research for when passing through and/or spending time in those areas.

AH.74

The general rule is that you follow and are bound by the laws of the state you are in at any time, not the laws of the state you are from.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Scorpion, there are a couple things you need to be aware of.

From the way I read the AZ law, if you would be otherwise legal to carry, you can carry concealed or openly, most everywhere in AZ.

If you are on or cross reservation land, you are bound by the laws of that reservation. So look at your maps, very carefully, and if you need to, contact the reservation(s) you might find yourself crossing or in.

Finally, most of the Grand Canyon is a National Park. That means if you have a concealed permit, you can carry concealed. There is some confusion as to whether you can carry concealed in a national park, without the permit.

Here in Idaho, you can lawfully carry concealed, without any permit, as long as you are outside of the incorporated ares of cities and towns. Our AG has come out in a conservative manner, and stated that if we (Idahoans) are in the Craters of the Moon National Monument (National Monuments are under the jurisdiction of the National Parks Service), we should abide by the Park Service and have a permit to carry in the Monument lands. In other words, he's not sure if the federal law follows the State law to the extent that you don't need a permit.

A call to the National Park Service, would tell you you need to have a State permit or a permit recognized by the State. Meh! Does the Federal law actually say that? I'm not going to be the test case, if my handgun is somehow seen. I have an Idaho permit, so it doesn't really affect me.

Granted this is just Idaho, but this ambiguity might affect your plans, as regards your trip to AZ.

According to www.handgunlaw.us, Arizona has a written reciprocity agreement with Texas. So a Texas carry permit should take care of any ambiguity in the Federal law regarding adhering to state laws while in National Parks.

Note: "should" take care of ...

IANAL

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
scorpion_tyr said:
My wife and I will be taking a trip to see the Grand Canyon sometime this year. We are both Texas residents and we'll be staying for a few days in the Flagstaff, AZ area. Neither of us have a CCL.

The part I highlighted, is the problem.

gmikel1955

State Parks
Many state and county parks are posted no weapons. If you are
entering a state or county park, look to see if it is posted. If it is not
posted, you may take your firearm with you into the park.

Indian Reservations
Because each tribal council makes the rules that apply on its
reservation, the firearms rules on Indian reservations vary greatly. For the
most part, non-Indians are prohibited from carrying guns on the
reservations, except with the permission of the tribal council. Therefore, a
CCW permit probably has no meaning on most Indian reservations.
However, so long as one remains on state or federal highways that pass
through the reservations, a CCW permit will likely be honored in Arizona.
If Arizona CCW permits are acceptable in another state, the same rule
would likely apply when traveling on state or federal highways across
Indian reservations in that state.

RETG

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

Simply stated, if AZ allow you to carry without a permit, then you can legally carry into the NP, so long as you are allowed to carry per AZ law.

Call the Park service but that is basically what they will tell you.