Arisaka versus the Bubba: front band collar issues

doofus47

I have an Arisaka type 38 carbine that is in fine condition with one weird quirk: After shooting a round or two, the front hand guard band comes loose and begins to rattle around the barrel like a drunken gymnast.
Apparently, a previous owner decided that there was some problem with the collar designed to retain the cleaning rod and front band in place. A little bit of dremel work on the tab that locked into the slot on the inside of the collar reduced it to just a fraction of its production size.
Of all the things to make smaller. I mean how often do you disassemble your carbine anyhow?
What's the professional opinion? Do I try to build up the tab again with some compound or do I search for a million years until I find a new retaining piece and then figure out how to remove the old/insert the new?

All input welcomed.
D47

pic attached.

Attachments

• band-cut-down.jpg
    band-cut-down.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 92

Blindstitch

Part of me is saying Bub bub bubba it back. The other part of me doesn't want to go into the safe right now and inspect my carbine and see what it would take to make it work again.

A few zaps with a mig welder might build it enough and shouldn't set things on fire. Then get the file out.

doofus47

Yep that was the part. Someone on another forum sent one to me for free.
Gotta love the gun club!!
Thanks
d47