Arisaka question....

shiky

i think there is some way to find out in the magwell, if you remove the attached magazine... if not why not just measure the bore?

pistolet1

Lavid2002

I think one way to tell the Type 38 6.5mm receiver apart from the later Type 99 7.7mm receiver is to look at the gas ports near the receiver ring. Type 38 rifles had two gas ports; the Type 99 had only one. There are other differences, such as the Type 99 had a longer, one piece tang to give more support to the grip section; also the tang sections, trigger guard, and magazine floorplate were all made from stampings. Basically the Type 99 (1939) was an attempt to modify the older Type 38 (1905) action so as to make it easier and quicker to manufacture. And at the same time, they decided to chamber it for the newer 7.7mm cartridge. The most common Type 99 variant was the Short rifle which was 44 1/4" long overall, and weighed around 8.5 pounds.

Lavid2002

The sling mounts on the type 99 were on the side of the rifle and on the bottom on the type 38.
This is false, the rifle i have has slings on the side and it wouldnt chamber with the 7.7 round.

Darren007

No, its not. Type 99 rifles had their sling installed on the side. Its possible that the gun has been rechambered for another cartridge.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
My Type 99 has the sling swivels on the side, but so does my Type 38. Then again, my Type 38 is a cavalry carbine. :)

Mike40-11 has the right answer: Your rifle will say exactly what type it is on the receiver in Japanese, you just have to translate via the link he gives.

Slamfire

The receiver is stamped 77 in Japanese :D:D:D:D

Which is true. Should look like two long hand small case script r's.

Darren007

Theres an easier way. With rifle pointed straight up, look at the receiver. If the Japanese characters are stamped horizontaly it is a type 99. If the characters are verticaly, its a type 38.

Or like Tamara said follow the link that was posted and translate it. It s not diificult.

Lavid2002

My Type 99 has the sling swivels on the side, but so does my Type 38. Then again, my Type 38 is a cavalry carbine.

Mike40-11 has the right answer: Your rifle will say exactly what type it is on the receiver in Japanese, you just have to translate via the link he gives.
Thats it! It was a cavalry carbine! Thats why it didnt work. wow..haha Thanks guys. Maybe on of the other rifles is 7.7