Arghhh!: Used SA Loaded or Sig P226?

IanS

I can't decide between these two. I pretty much know all the positives and negatives of both designs since I own a Colt 1991A1 and used to own a Sig P229 and P220. I know both guns are pretty accurate for their respective caliber. I thought I'd give my friends at TFL a vote on which they'd choose between the 2. By the way they're both slightly used LNIB condition.

1. SA "Loaded" Blued with Novak Night Sights, King's trigger job, King's fitted bushing, ramp/throat/polish job, checkered front strap, and checkered MSH. Everything I want from a 1911 out the door. Previous owner was a collector who wanted to move up to Les Baers and Wilsons. This'll be my first SA.

2. Sig Sauer P226 with German proof marks on slide and frame. I like the P226 but don't like current P226's with American made slides. This is the Sig I've always wanted since I got interested in handguns and I'd like to have a 9mm again.

Price is not an issue. My primary defense gun is a Glock 23 but whichever I get I intend to shoot it a lot. I'd like to get both but it just isn't possible.

archer215

ive got a springfeild champion that has been a very good and reliable gun ive never had a sig but i plan too imo i would get the sig as its what you want in that model and you can always put a springfeild in layaway but the biggest reason id get the sig is that you already have a 1911 so id want somthing different but then thats just me:D my primary carry gun is a g23 i love it :D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Tough one. A lot would depend on how good the work was on the 1911. (Checkering clean? Sight installation smooth? Re-bluing pretty?)

IanS

I could live without the checkering but its a "gimme" but I don't know how I'll like it when I shoot it. I do like the way it looks. The checkering looks clean but it feels "aggresive". I think the Novaks came with the gun when it was new, I didn't really see how well it was installed; not that I'd really know what to look for.;) The pistol was supposedly worked on by Kings' (whom I trust) I don't think it was reblued but the finish is very nice with the sides polished.

By the way the SA frame is the old Colt style which made me take notice in the first place.

edit: By the way I went to look at a new SA "Loaded" today and the barrel was part stainless and part blued. It had the key lock in the MSH so it is a recent production. But the one I'm considering has a SA barrel thats 100% stainless. What up with that?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The one you're looking at must have been re-blued (after the frontstrap was checkered). I'll bet they recontoured the frame at that time.

IanS

I chose the Sig P226. Its a classic in its own right and it'd be nice to have a 9mm. Its in fantastic shape and when I did a side by side comparison with a new one you could hardly tell which one was used. As a bonus its made and proofed in Germany (maybe all those posts by Ala Dan got to me LOL! :D) and it has the classic P226 grips I like.

I would have been happy with the SA but I plan to similiarly upgrade my Colt anyways. All in all I think I made the right choice in my case.

DerRottweiler

Ian 11

I would go for the P226. As you stated that you prefered one with the stamped slide and those are no longer avaliable,get it now and you can always get a 1911 later on.

IanS

Its done. Although the SA is crying through the glass counter I admit I do it with a lot of trepidation and sorrow.:( But I'm glad I'm gonna give this P226 a nice home that the former owner obviously had no use for.

Buying a used gun is like rescuing a neglected dog or a cat from the pound sometimes.:D

edamon2k

I absolutely love my Sig P226. I'd only ever trade it for a new one, lol or a Stainless ST one.

Get the sig, best ergonomics of any gun out there and the stock trigger is great.