Area Man Swollows Pride

Shin-Tao

AREA MAN SWOLLOWS PRIDE

Established critic of Gene Stoner's AR action, Shin-Tao purchased a Bushmaster this week, a popular AR-15 clone. Sources say Shin-Tao purchased the rifle with little fanfare or celebration, contrasting with his behavior durring other firearms purchases.

Long a supporter of the Ruger Mini-14, it was a shock to those who know him when he suddenly sold the Mini and it's accessories. Many of his friends attempted to purchase his stocks of .223 ammunition, but Shin-Tao would not sell. When he was spotted weeks later with AR-15 magazines, many grew concerned, but no one imagined there would be such a dramatic reversal.

When questioned about this Clintonian flip-flop, Shin-Tao had this to say in his defense:
"Look. This doesn't mean I like the AR. But I was tired of playing the Mini's magazine game. Will this mag work? What kind of mag is that? Why won't this mag seat properly? So I sold it. As much as I dislike the direct gas system of the AR, I really like it's ergonomics and magazine well. If the butt-faces at Ruger would've put out factory 10-rounders, I might have held onto the Mini, but even then, I don't know. Magazine changers with a '16 or AR are simply faster for me."
Shin-Tao plans on test-firing the new carbine this weekend.

Beowulf_93

I am having a similar problem w/ my Mini. I have looked for Thermold, USGI, & others, but the only hi-cap mags I have seen are USA, which are POS magazines. This problem is really going to hurt Ruger.

Cal4D4

Special watch will be garrisoned along the California border to assure the people that only the Mini will cross with its guaranteed failure prone magazines. Mr Shin-Tao's mug will be posted and he will be subject to special (!!) searches if he attempts to enter the state illegally. He may have all the fun he wants, just not here.:cool:

Beowulf_93

If I had my "druthers", I would like a new Armalite M-15 or an AR-180b, but I hear that they are on backorder for both. Does the AR-180b use the M16 mags?

ronin308

Beowulf_93- The AR-180B uses standard M16/AR15 magazines.

Shin Tao- I had some problems with AR rifles in the past. My fiancee bought me a 16" carbine last Christmas and I fell in love with it. Just try to put your prejudices aside and see how the rifle works for you. The AR that I own now has been very reliable and accurate.

hksigwalther

I had reservations about the direct gas also. But having shot an AR at a CMP clinic, the gun was too easy to shoot not to have and bought one (then more). The direct gas, I had found, really does not get the action and receiver as dirty as I thought it would get. A little more than an FAL and the AK actions but nowhere near as dirty as the CETME/HK-9X guns.

nascarnhlnra

Congrats on the new Bushy I own a mini and plan to purchase a Bushy or an AR180B but I also plan to keep my mini, I have several perfectly functioning P.M.I.'s as well as a 20 round factory Ruger mag that all work great, they were pricey critters though but to me the gun is useless without the right mags.

BigG

Tired of Hearing Bout AR15 Cons...

Do you really think the US gomit would arm its boys with a weapon that was not the best? :rolleyes: :eek: Wait a minute - don't answer that! :D

(this is a yolk):p

RikWriter

I haven't yet cleaned a gas tube on any of the ARs I've owned. I don't think it is necessary and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

Shin-Tao

It's quite possible such isn't needed. But I'm a neat freak when(and only when) it comes to my weapons.

So. You have any?

uglygun

Gastube? leave it alone.

Only time I've ever heard of anyone suggesting it be cleaned is after firing a LOT of 22lr. through their AR15 with one of the 22lr. conversion kits, their thinking was that it was remotely possible to get a little lead into the gas ports if you shot a whole mess of 22lr. But how did they suggest that the gas tube be cleaned out? By pumping some high pressure 223Rem through there after cleaning the bore with a brush, a couple hundred PSI should remove just about anything from the gastube.

Welcome to the club Shin-Tao.

Before you know it there will be a spare upper sitting in your safe, varmint configuration possibly. It will be as if it spontaneously appeared out of thin air. Then, next thing you know you'll be looking real closely at those accesories at all the gunshows like Ergo Grips and "gappers", maybe even tritium front posts and red dot sights.

Wish you luck with the rifle. My two bushmasters have been very good to me.

Quartus

Shin, the problems of the AR-15 are greatly exagerated. Lemme tell you a story. (Stolen from the M-16 Horror Story thread because I'm too lazy to retype it.)

While back I had a job that entailed wearing green a lot.

At Ft. Lewis one sunny afternoon I ran about 30 mags (20 rounders) through a service rifle with nary a hiccup.

Didn't clean it or lube it AT ALL during that session. Not too many troops on a battlefield have access to that many mags full of ammo. And, knowing who that rifle was issued to, I doubt it was clean when we started firing that day - we'd been in the field shooting blanks for a week. Those are notoriously dirty. Then we shot a standard qualification. Then we burned ammo rather than turning it back in. Somebody had ordered WAAAY too much! Oh, the sheer joy of dumping a full 20 rounder into the 25 meter target. From the hip. One long burst! :D

I'm sure glad I didn't have to clean that weapon! Seems mine was secured in a rack while we burned the ammo. :D

So, is it a perfect rifle? No, but I think you'll find it a lot more reliable than the Mini. The Mini just wasn't built to handle any considerable volume of fire.

Here are some interesting comments from someone much better qualified than I:

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/26Apr02.html

Safe shooting!

RikWriter

Shin, a good place to get pipecleaners is...unsurprisingly, a tobacco shop. :D
That's where I bought mine when I was in the Army.

My post count isn't high, but I've been a lurker for quite some time now and am very familiar with Shin Tao's opinions concerning the ar15 rifles. All I have to say is this:

WOW :eek:

Jim