Are YOUR Area Gun Shows Improving?

So, while visiting the in-laws here in Michigan, we decided to hit a local gun show. $5 parking and $6/person later, I wasn't exactly in an enthusiastic mood. Once I walked in, I understood the entry fee. The place was huge, building was fairly new, and very clean. The event staff was on top of every little drink spill. All the vendors' areas were organized and easy to peruse.

Now, the real important stuff that most probably want to know...

Prices were all over the place. A Swedish M38 Mauser for $675 that was in less than stellar condition. Seemed pretty high since Empire Arms sold some close to that price for one that made me drool. I almost bit on an H&R Garand. Beautiful condition with correct and mostly matched parts for $800. A Colt's 1911 in original condition, not even arsenal refurbished for $3,200. He had all the paperwork for it and was in fantastic condition for the age. He was a real nice old timer which we chewed the fat for a while. He could tell I was seriously considering turning to my wife to ask if we had $3,200 somehow stocked up in savings. He was willing to negotiate on the price, but no dice. One of the biggest "Um, no freakin' way" finds was a vendor selling Ruger products. Had a 10/22 with a Mannlicher stock for $600...sorry...$599. That's twice what I paid for mine.

All in all, I was glad I went. Met quite a few good people. Bought some ammo at a fair-to-me price (Independence 1,000rds 9mm for $240 and I LOVE reloading their brass). 2,000 CCI primers for $58. I spent $25 for 2 medium sized ammo cans. It was a bit high, but they were thoroughly cleaned by a Cub Scout member and the condition of the seals were in great shape.

It was the usual story of you really need to know what the going rate of what you're looking for to get a good deal. To me, I see a lot of sellers that are trying to make a living or supplementing income. If it's a few bucks more to keep them in business and future gun shows coming, it's worth it. A couple of years ago, it wasn't anything like the experience I had lately. Looks like some of the scares are behind us for now so our community can get back to some sort of normalcy.

Is this the trend you're seeing in your area?

Last edited:

wogpotter

Kinda-sorta.
The last time I went to the Chantilly show the check in was such a horror story I won't go back. Prices were high, jerky, jewelry & other flea-market stuff increased.
I went to a PA show instead as they're about equidistant. They used to charge (unusually here) for parking & admission. This time admission only, parking for gun-show customers was free.
More shooting related & less flea-market & prices are slowly coming down across the board.
I guess you have to shop around.

Pahoo

Just Fair !!

Shane,
I know you are familiar with most of our local Iowa shows and entrance fees have gone up just a "smidge". Use to be packed right after Obama put a scare into folks, then it tapered off and now it's picking back up again. Traffic in and out is manageable. Know a few dealers that are going 100% internet sales and they might come back. Most dealers are doing just fair. Prices on some guns have actually come down. Ammo is still hanging high but suspect they will come down especially now that .22LR. is becoming more available in our local stores. This past week I actually bought some that we have not seen for over a year. Rem. bulk pack of 225 for $11.95, one box limit. Gun show bricks at $60.00. Used 10/22's are scant and new ones are fairly cheap. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

AKexpat

I'm a 62-year-old guy and have gone to gun shows over the years from Nebraska (where I bought my first Rem 870 Wingmaster at 18 for skeet shooting) to Kansas to Alaska to WA State. Most of them have been good, mostly firearm shows, but the later ones in Alaska were more high-buck/flea-market stuff.

Retired to WA State 7 years ago. As I had gotten rid of 90% (and that's many pieces) of my inventory prior to relocating to WA, found myself wanting (and acquiring) a stripped, in-the-white 1911 frame for my .22 LR Ciener conversion kit build. I attended a Wes Knodel show in Centralia. Even prior to the passage of I-594 (which I detest for transfer language) they have had in place very restrictive rules (see link) and good security as far as could tell. Free parking and $6 entry.

http://wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/centralia.html

As I went through the aisles upon aisles of mostly older used guns with reasonable wear and reasonable price tags, I realized it was more like the gun shows of older days.

A good experience.

$50 for one table? No wonder they just get by...

Hoping so, Pahoo. I'll be on the lookout the next time there's one in my town...

Mike38

Gun show in my area has improved over the past few years, the promoter has been working to make changes for the better. A lot less flea market junk. More knives, and more reloading supplies. About the same on firearms. As always, free parking, $2 to get in, and good food. I think tables went up from $20 per weekend to $25.

Crankylove

My local gun shows are 90% kids toys, scented candle booths, Native American jewelry, and used books somebody pulled from a dumpster. The remaining 10% is a mix of overpriced new guns, overpriced used guns, and overpriced ammo.

The sure do sell a lot though. I go every 2-3 years, and most people I see there automatically assume that since they're at a show, they're getting a screaming deal, and spend like its goin out of style. I can go to vendor "x" the day after the show, and buy the same gun he had on his table the day before, for $100 or more less.

I go if somebody else buys the ticket, and I'm bored. The days if good deals/good show around here are long gone.

Don P

Local show hasn't changed in over 10 years. Mostly the same vendors peddling the same overpriced new and used firearms and accessories. Every once in while you come across a good deal. Free parking and $6 entry fee.

Colt46

I stopped going to mine about a decade ago.

The county is anti gun, and the number of venders actually selling affordable ammo or guns is zero. Mostly memorabilia or beef jerky.