Are we still living in a free country?

RobW

The headline might be a bit misleading, what I mean is, do you think you are still a free citizen in this country, your freedoms are protected by the constitution of the country, resp. the states?

If yes, what is the difference to i.e. Switzerland, Austria, Italy... Western Europe?

Some time ago, a radio host in this area bet a nice dinner if anyone could tell him something that is not ruled, regulated or taxed in our country.

Good opportunity to rant, reason, or just find out how the situation of our country is without politicians tell you what to believe.

Derek Zeanah

This is going to turn into flames...

I believe the answer is "no," but you can make the argument that we're the best place to be anyway. I call that a problem, but can't for the life of me come up with the solution. :(

'Course, I'm one of those wacky libertarians -- everyone knows we're not practical anyway.

edited for spelling -- my != me, tho it's easy to do when typing fast.

Last edited:

John/az2

Breathing.

But, that's about it.

"The 'BEST' place" is relative, and a winning argument only when comparing to other countries of today.

But, make the true comparision of where we once were, and it's a loser every time.

Last edited:

K80Geoff

"Breathing"

Wait, give them time, they are working on ways to tax the air.

When you think about it. Automobiles have expensive emissions controls and in some areas must pass stringent emissions tests to be licensed.

Power plants, incinerators and other emiters are taxed and fined and required to install expensive equipment by the FEDGOV.

Who pays for all this in the end?

More hidden taxation:D

(Wheeze, cough, cough!)

foghornl

Semi-free, I would say.

If you went into your back yard/garden, and dug up some worms, then tired to sell them as "bait for fishing", it probably wouldn't even be 1 hour before some petty bureaucrat showed up, and demanded that you fill out some forms in triplicate, and pay some silly "license fee" or "business permit charge", or some other BS extortionist sum.

Christopher II

I read something somewhere about America being the, "...healthiest patient in the terminal ward."

Ever notice who says things like, "America is the freest country on earth?" Mostly statists and politicians. The implication being, "America is so free that we can take a little bit more of your liberty away and still be pretty free, so sit down and shut up, peon." Keep this in mind.

- Chris

K80Geoff

Hmmmmm.....digging up worms. Sounds like you need a license for that. Or maybe you are illegally taking wildlife from a protected "Wetland". Don't forget to charge sales tax. And of course you must have liability insurance, workmens comp and pay unemployment insurance. Don't forget to pay social security on the earnings (double since you are self employed). Check with the town and county and village to see if you have to have a permit.

Gotta fund those bureaucracies.

croyance

your freedoms are protected by the constitution of the country, resp. the states?
The truth is, the Constitution of the United States, as well as those of other countries, are nothing more than a bunch of words. Paper doesn't protect anything.
What is more important is what the general population believes. If people are convinced that they do not have a right to do something, then they will not excersise that right. They will also not look kindly upon those who try to use their rights. So it is a matter of belief.
This is part of are struggle to keep our Second Amendment rights. Much of the voting public simply does not believe there is any inherent right to bear arms, nor any need.
It is also important that those whose job it is to enforce the laws believe you have the right to do something. Look at any police state. Without the backing of the military and police, the people are no longer suppressed and the dictator is toppled. While they back the dictator, the people are held in check, unable to excercise any rights, regardless of what is written on paper. Death squads and torturers are an effective way to scare a populus into submission. Marcos, for example, fell almost overnight when his army decided, en masse, they could not keep on killing there brothers and sisters and parents.
That is, admittedly, a force of arms arguement, but that is part of practical reality. Laws are what is enforced, and backed up by force. May things are technically illegal, but no law enforcement will do anything about it (laws against oral sex, for example).
And there is the old quote "chains do not make me a slave, and walls do not make a prison", I may have hacked it up. You have rights and you may excercise them at any time. You may also be punished for that, per government regulation, lawsuit, etc., but that does not mean that you don't have rights. In my mind, rights exist whether or not it is on paper. Paper is merely a recording of thoughts and laws.