are these sights worth the money for an SKS

horatioo

I have the standard sights that came on the SKS. I am wanting to be able to shoot targets out to about 200 yards, although I dont have the skill to do that yet. Would these sights be a big improvement over the ones I have now? Also are these a well known brand? The sights cost $59.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Thanks

Tech-SIGHTS, LLC has produced two rugged, precise sighting solutions for the SKS rifle with the following features:

* Does not require drilling or tapping to create a solid mount to the receiver.
* Mounts the sight closer to the shooter's eye, giving the shooter a sight picture similar to the M1 Garand and M16 military rifles.
* Increases the sighting radius by 10" over sights mounted in front of the receiver.
* Returns to zero after removal.
* Uses incremental windage adjustment with rugged detent locking.
* The TS100 utilizes apertures (.062 dia.) from the time proven M16A1 rifle. This gives the shooter a wide choice of apertures including National Match, Tritium, Combat, etc.
* The TS200 includes an elevation adjustable aperture (.062 dia.) with detent locking.
* The sight base is constructed of high strength aluminum and Hard Coat Anodized to Military Specifications.
* Uses steel components finished with Military Specification Manganese Phosphate.
* Patented design.

2amencw

sights

these sights are recommended by the Appleseed crowd. Another big mod is to polish the trigger. Worth the money. I have taken several sks from 6" groups to 1.5" groups with just a trigger slick job.

chris in va

Absolutely. Well worth the money. I had the Mojo 'peep' sights on my SKS but it was too far away to be a true peep, more like a ghost ring. Would love to have a set for my AK Saiga.

mapsjanhere

Depends :D. If you want to shoot better, yes. If you want to make an investment you can recoup when you sell the gun, no.

hksnpr223

anything is better than the original sights. this one looks like it's pretty good, I might har to get one for my sks now.

I have a set of these on my accurized SKS & can shoot 2" - 5 shot groups with decient ammo at 200 yards... I think it was worth the cost...

5whiskey

I have NO direct experience with these sights... but seing as they are solidly mounted to the reciever (not dust cover) and bring the rear aperature closer to the eye (along with making it an aperature and not a blade), then yes I would have to say that they should be leaps and bounds above the OEM SKS sights.

longlane

Have 2 pairs of these sights...

I say pair because I bought the finer front post as well for both. One set went on a Norinco, the other on a Yugo. Tough to sight in, because there are so many adjustments to be made (we bought the TS200). However, once sighted in, sweet with core lokt--2" groups at 100 yards. Also, go ahead and buy the sight adjustment tool---well worth it.

Ifishsum

The tech sight is definitely an improvement and worth the money. My range has some 14" round steel targets at 155 yards and the tech sights improve my "clang" rate from about 65% to 90%. It does make it a bit more of a PITA to remove the bolt cover for cleaning but the improvement in shootability is well worth that trade-off.

longlane

TriumphGuy, talk to me about the Marlin 60 set...

I'll be adding these to my other SKSs in the near future, and I have wondered about them on my Marlin 60. No offense intended here--I'm just clarifying mine and my fathers thoughts--the ironsights on the Marlins have proved wicked effective for me and my whole family (squirrel hunting anyone?).

The old SKS sights? Not so much.

What was your impetus to install the Tech-Sights on the Marlin? Heretofore, and without correction or input from you and your experience, we'd felt that the Marlin factory sights were good for the .22 LR--at least to the effective range of the round.

What benefits have you noticed other than the cool look and possible ease-of-use for folks who've used these sights in the service?

Honestly curious and hoping for feedback.

TriumphGuy

If you shoot well with what's there, than there's no practical need for it. I like the GI style aperture sights and find them more fun to shoot with, but did fine with the stock set. The only problem I've found is that the Tech Sights sit a little high. 50 yard zero is no problem, but lower than that you might have some problems adjusting them down far enough.

longlane

Thanks TriumphGuy...

We might try the sights on one of our older/longer barreled Model 60s (though I'm aware that a longer barrel doesn't always equate to better accuracy). Hadn't thought of the zero-in issue.

Do you find that you have faster target acquisition with the Tech Sights on the Model 60? We've experienced this with the SKSs--especially when used with varmints.

Thanks again!

TriumphGuy

I'd say it's a trade off. It's faster on target, but takes a little more effort if you want a precise point of aim. I can spin a 2" steel target all day with little effort using them, but it's a little tougher to aim right for the X ring on a paper target because of the large aperture, if that makes any sense.

longlane

It does indeed make sense. Thanks for the input. I might acquire a set for the Marlin after I finish installing them on the remaining SKSs. Much appreciated...