Are there any decent gun stores in upstate SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdshooter

Just got back from a fondling trip. Went to Freedom on White Horse, Trader's Gun Shop on Highway 29, and Luthi's on Butler close to downtown. They are all really quite a bit proud of their stock (high prices)

The people at Freedom didn't even ask me if i needed any help but they did not carry the brands i was looking for anyway. Most of their stuff was priced out of my league.

I get to Luthi's and they carry one of the .223 platforms that I was looking at earlier. It was a Century Arms (I know, I know) Galil. Their price was 790!!! My centerfire systems catalog has them for 549. So I asked the guy behind the counter (who took his sweet time asking if i needed anything) if they did FFL transfers. He nonchalontly responded that they don't do them on items that they can get. I can understand that seeing the 230 dollar markup on the galil. Not gonna shop there again.

Then I stop in at Trader's on Wade Hampton. A young lady behind the counter greeted me and asked if I needed any help and I told her that I was looking into getting an AR in the 600s price range. She told me that they didnt have any but they could probably order me one from S&W for that price range. She was very polite and started filling me in on their policies and what to expect if I did an order through them. Great experience there, but their Rock Island 1911s were scarce and a bit overpriced. They had 3 RIs 2 compact ones and 1 full size. I got to fondle the full size and i simply LOVED the way it felt in my hands. It liked the fact that aiming it was like pointing my finger. The prices were in the mid 400s for the RIs however. I understand a store has to mark up items to make any profit but $100+ seems a bit much for me. But like I said, great staff there, but a tad bit on the pricey side.

Are there any gun stores in Upstate SC at all that are nice AND don't mark up their merchandise 100+ dollars? If you know of one please let me know! Oh and I am looking into getting a Rock Island 1911 so this thread is in the right place i think :D

PipeSmokeMcGee

Allen Arms on Poinsett Highway seems to be pretty good. Pretty good stock, nice store, knowledgeable staff. However, prices don't seem to be the best.

Try calling Upstate Armory Group. I haven't bought anything from them, but I've called a couple of times and have been VERY impressed with his help, as well as his prices. Worth a call, especially if you know what you're looking for. I think they're in Fountain Inn.

xdshooter

Oh yeah I went by Allen Arms today too, I forgot about them. Friendly staff and adequate selection, but by their prices they seem to be a little too proud of their used firearms.

Does Upstate Armory Group have a website or online catalog? Can I call them and get a catalog or are they just a small operation? Fountain Inn isn't very far off but I would need a reason to go that far when I could just pop over to Trader's and pay them 35$ to transfer an ordered weapon to me.

Trader's also said they could get me a S&W AR for around 650. I live about a mile away from Allen Arms so I am in there a bit shooting at their range. Just looking to economize an AR that I would be proud to shoot at AA as well! Thanks for the advice.

SCDeac82

Dewey's Pawn Shop, off of 85 South @ Augusta/25S exit area.

Good guys once you spend a little time getting to know them.

The owner is a huge hunter.

Best of Luck.

JB

Crunchy Frog

Just to add a couple of extra choices...

There are two in Greer worth checking. One is Blue Ridge just off Poinsett Highway where it turns off of Wade Hampton. They don't carry a lot of inventory but I think they order guns pretty inexpensively.

The other is James Firearms on Highway 14 south of downtown. Another small shop, I stopped by one Saturday and it was actually just past closing time so I did not want to delay them. They had what looked to be good prices on the two guns I was interested in.

Also in the Upstate don't forget Grady's Great Outdoors in Anderson and The Gun Shop in Walhalla. I've always gotten good service in those stores.

xdshooter

Yeah I pretty much stayed in Greenville when I went shopping. I have been to Blue Ridge Shooting Sports before. In fact I bought a Maverick shotgun with laser reflex sight on it for less than 200 there.

I didn't know about the other one in Greer. I grew up in Greer but I never knew about James Firearms. Is It fairly new? Of course I hadnt heard of Grady's Great Outdoors in Anderson and The Gun Shop in Walhalla. A little out of the way for me but I don't mind travelling a bit to find a good deal. So Crunchyfrog, do those shops sell Rock Island and lower end ARs?

And SCDeac82 I will have to go check out dewey's. Never been there before either. And does the 82 in your name indicate year of birth? If so I am an 82 baby too! Thanks for the advice fellas.

PipeSmokeMcGee

Does Upstate Armory Group have a website or online catalog? Can I call them and get a catalog or are they just a small operation? Fountain Inn isn't very far off but I would need a reason to go that far when I could just pop over to Trader's and pay them 35$ to transfer an ordered weapon to me.

They do have a website here:

http://www.upstatearmorygroup.com/

It's worth just giving them a call, especially if you have something specific in mind.

I think they're a small operation, but I'm not quite sure. I've only dealt with them over the phone.

xdshooter

SCDeac82, checked Dewey's Pawn Shop online shop and the only ARs they had were way out of my price range. Granted, they were colts, and colts are really nice, I just cant warrant unloading 1200+ on a gun. Unless it was a Wildey. Gotta love them Wildeys.

They did however have a lot of Rock Islands in the 420-500 range and I liked that. I don't know yet if im gonna do an AR or a 1911. One or the other.

SCDeac82

Yo XD:

I wish 82 was my date of hatch, but no, sadly, it is my date of college graduation.:rolleyes:

If you are new (or not) to the sport, check out the Greenville Gun Club (in Conastee)

Out.

JB

gregdry

Here's several good shops in Upstate...
Fast Cash Gun and Pawn - Off Hwy 221 (usually good prices; able to dicker on price some, new guns and used; lots of em)
T&K Outdoors - just off Hwy 176 in N. Spartanburg, store is somewhat small, but they have quite an inventory, and great prices.
Inman Gun and Pawn - not as big an inventory, but great prices.
Lyman Gun and Pawn - Just Off Wade Hampton Blvd.; smaller inventory but great prices.:):)

Mrgunsngear

I would take a trip down 26 or 77 and go to either Lawmens (if you're LEO/military especially) or Palmetto State Armory in Columbia. Both shops have good prices and great customer service. It's worth not spending the extra $100. Even with gas, you'll probably still save $.

Status
Not open for further replies.