Are the "new" mini-14s better?

Prof Young

My range/gun store has a mini-14 that's calling my name. It's "new," as in recently manufactured. I recall these guns having a reputation for not being all that accurate. Are the "new" ones any better?

Life is good.
Prof Young

tangolima

Heavier barrel and faster twist. It can now do 2moa without much monkeying. Mini-14, you need to like to like it.

I have one. The old version. It has to have the barrel strut installed to shoot decent. People go through trouble to put scopes on them. I'd rather not.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jmr40

The only thing I have against a Mini-14 is that they are overpriced for what you get. The newer versions are acceptably accurate and they have always been rugged and reliable. And despite the negativity even the old ones were accurate enough for most people. Especially when using iron sights. They were no worse than a typical lever action 30-30.

Most people, myself included, would much rather spend less, buy an AR and get a better rifle. But not everybody wants, or in many cases can't legally possess an AR. If you're in that category buy it and enjoy.

I've had 2-3 of the older guns in the past. They cost me about 1/3 what an AR would cost at that time. If I could still get a Mini for 1/3 what an AR costs today, I'd buy 2 of them.

amd6547

My older stainless Mini14, that I just had to have…was less accurate at 50yds than the M1 Carbine I sold to buy it was at 100yds, both using irons. And, at that time, Ruger mags weren’t available, and aftermarket was iffy. Sold it.

A couple years ago, a friend got a late model Mini, one with the new barrel, and synthetic stock. I took him to my rifle club to try it out.
Nice rifle, but I outshot it at 100yds with my Russian Saiga 5.45 Kalashnikov sporter and surplus ammo.

jetinteriorguy

I had a Mini 14 with the factory folding stock ack in the 80’s and a first Gen Mini 30 I used for deer hunting. With a little trigger work and modification on the disconnector spring and good hand loads both rifles were pretty reliable 2MOA shooters. But when I first started shooting them box stock with factory ammo they were horrible, 5-6MOA. I sold them in 2002 when I moved to VA, the a couple years ago got an urge to get another Mini-14 and bought a trigger kit which basically did the same exact mod as I’d figured out years ago. This is the tactical model with the 16” heavier profile barrel and synthetic stock. I replaced the rear sight with one from Tech Sights and it is a reliable sub 2 MOA shooter with the right load. I really like this newer version, it’s extremely nice to handle, similar to how easy an AK-47 is to handle.

bamaranger

mini's

I like the Mini-14-30 and always have. The breed has always been labeled wanting in the accuracy department. Slim barrels and assorted twist rates didn't help,and towards the end of the "old" models, Ruger claims that some production machines were wearing out. Ruger claims to have fixed all that and the new carbines are reportedly/supposedly better.

I don't see how they survive in the day of $500-600 dollar AR's however. Add the complication of proprietary mags and the four figure price tag together and I come up with the conclusion that the Mini's days are numbered. I note though that used ones don't stay on the rack long and the stainless variants seem in very high demand. Much may depend on the next few years and legislation regards hi-cap semi rifles, the Mini survived once before when others did not.

JustJake

Are the "new" mini-14s better?
Noop. :rolleyes:

Maybe they're fun for plinking at large plastic pop bottles, where ‘barn-door’ accuracy standards usually apply, but for serious work the Minis still can’t touch an AR for accuracy at any distance.

Prof Young

Thanks for all the info.

Comments much appreciated.

Will let you know if I succumb to its siren song.

Life is good.
Prof Young

imashooter

Had both a mini 14 and 30 years before red dots came on line. With a bit of practice (as with anything imo), a disabling / kill shot is very doable at 50 meters. Probably better with todays optics, rails, etc.

bamaranger

accuracy/serious work

The question comes down to how much accuracy one thinks they need for the task at hand....and how much cash one is willing to part with given the fact that there are more accurate platforms available. There is little doubt that a good AR, heck even an average AR, will outshoot a Mini in the accuracy department. Although my experience with the Mini shows them reliable, there are reports that the AR may have an edge in that department as well. Use Ruger mags and SAAMI ammo and the Mini-14-30 has run just fine for me

The rotating bolt and long op rod aka the Garand family holds an attraction for some, as does the fact that the Mini family can be had in wood and steel (even stainless steel) with a conventional stock, and not steel alloys and space plastic as in the AR.

"Serious work"? There are unfortunately several incidents on record where the Mini was used by felons to murder officers, US Marshals and FBI agents and the accuracy, reliability and firepower of the Mini led to those officers deaths. There are also a handful of Alabama whitetails who found my Mini-30 a pretty serious matter as well.