Are Taurus and Charter Arms handguns really that bad?

dpetreikis

On several recent visits to my local gun shop, I have overheard the sales staff there warning people away, in no uncertain terms, from buying lower-priced handguns - most notably the Taurus ones, as well as some Charter Arms as well. My first regular carry gun was a Charter Arms Undercover .38 which stayed by my side for several years, never failed to go "bang" when i squeezed the trigger and helped me prevent a couple potential robberies while I was working at a gas station. Later, I bought a Taurus 605 .357 snub in stainless. It was a very nice looking gun which never gave me a problem (although admittedly I did not keep it very long, trading it for a Glock 23) while I had it. I have also fired the Taurus PT-92 several times, always without a problem.

At the same time, I have owned a Smith & Wesson revolver on which the hammer pivot pin broke, another one that would fire if you cocked the hammer back and then pushed it forward with your thumb (without even touching the trigger - scary) and a Walther P-990 which jammed several times and whose magazines frequently broke if dropped on the ground. Other people I worked with (we all carried the same weapon) noticed failures-to-feed, misfires, jams and even once, a catastrophic misfire, resulting in the slide blowing up and the person getting injured as a result.

So -

I have seen expensive brands fail repeatedly, and cheaper ones work fine. Why, then do the gun shops warm people away? Is it (as I suspect) a mixture of gun snobbery and profit margins? I understand that they are in business to turn a profit, but if they are also advising people who have limited knowledge on the subject, should they not also follow a moral imperative to advise them fairly and without bias?

Just a thought....

deanadell

In my own personal experience? I don;t think they're that bad.....have never had a problem with a number of Taurus products I've owned, or still own.

No...they're not Smith and Wessons....

There are a number of folks here that have had different experiences with them.......some pretty horrible,

Kreyzhorse

I think you can get a very good Taurus and or Charter Arms revolver. The issue comes to play that you can also get a very bad one. Of course this can happen with from any maker, but I believe that your odds of getting a dog from Taurus or Charter Arms is higher. With that said, if you get a dog from any maker, you would expect that maker to fix the issue. I think S&W and Ruger have very high customer service standards. Taurus, from my own experience with a M85 that froze up solid, does not. I have zero experience or knowledge with Charter Arms.

You might save a little money up front buying a Taurus or Charter, and it may serve you well for a lot of years, but if you get a bad one, you'll likely spend as much money getting it fixed as you would have had you bought a S&W or Ruger the first time.

Keltyke

How many times are we gonna beat this dead horse?

ANY gun can fail.
ANY manufacturer can have a bad run or produce a lemon.
Cost does NOT equal quality.
Brand names are just that, brand names.

iloveguns1

Cost does NOT equal quality.
Brand names are just that, brand names
I could not disagree anymore. This not only applies to firearms but to everything, you get what you pay for. Are you saying that a Davis is no different than a Ruger? I mean come on, seriously.

Keltyke

Are you saying that a Davis is no different than a Ruger?

No, but surely you don't believe you don't pay for a name?

Take a Ford, make a copy of it. Call it a Schultz. See what it brings on the market.

putteral

Hopefully we are done bashing lower priced hanguns. There are good and bad with anything you buy from guns to you name it.

longtooth50

I have a Taurus P85 UL. Get good service out of it for what it is built for. Personal defense up close & personal. It will never be a tack driver at 100 feet but it gos bang every time I pull the trigger. It is my sweaty, summertime, hard work carry. I got it used SEVERAL yrs ago & could never replace it for what I could get for it.

Charter. I had one yrs ago as a BUG when I worked Reserve for SO. Same as above as foar as reliable. They will do the job they were designed to do. Most of the time when gunstore sales personell try to steer people away from the entry level arms it is more to sell the top end stuff than the entri level being of poor quality. My oppinion. YMMV.

doncameron

Never had a charter arms, still have 3 Taurus's,
2 wheel guns and 1 semi-auto.
1 wheelgun is 14 years old and still no problems.

Avenger11

Keltyke,
Hate to rain on your parade, but all your suppositions are dead wrong!!!! Qualty does cost more! Ever wonder why a Lexus costs more than a Suzuki!! Good sevice costs more. Brands with a reputation for achieving both quality and service will earn my business.Taurus has a lifetime warranty because it needs to. They also make a good entry level gun for the beginner or inexperienced shooter, or for SD if you don't intend to shoot it often.
But please don't insult our collective intelligence here by asserting that quality and legendary service comes cheap.

Matt19

The only time I ever had a problem with a Taurus pistol, the factory took care of it in short order and at no cost to me.

funon1

They ARE that bad

Taurus handguns :barf: are good for 2 things: Paperweight and boat anchor. After many bad experiences and none good, I would not ever again trust one to do anything else.

Funon1

daveydoo

Taurus is not that bad. I had a few pt92 and never had a problem. A 85 again trouble free, and a 941. That one the cylinder would freeze up. Still have one 92 and the 85 soild the two 92 to "upgrade" ending selling those too. Gave the 941 to a friend who could fix it. (sent it in the odds are)