Are speedloader cases sized?

Bacchus

I have the opportunity to purchase some speedloader holders. My question is whether the holders are of a standard size. In other words, will speedloader pouches or holders for a 5 shot also hold loaders for a 6 or a 7?

C.R.Sam

I've only messed with leather ones and they were all fairly snug fit for the loader designated. I have used alcohol to fit K frame six shot loader holders to L frame five and six shot loaders.

I just checked and my 696 5 shot loaders are the same diameter as my 686 6 shot loaders. Tis not the number of rounds that counts, rather the diameter of the cylinder matters. My k frame loaders are a tad smaller than the L frame loaders. And the J frame loaders are a lot smaller.

That help, or just confustipate?

Sam

Regarding HKS Speedloader pouches...

Speedloaders pouches came in two sizes in the old days. There was one for the medium size speedloader (Python, K-L frame S&W, Ruger SS/GP) and a larger size for the N frame S&W. Don't know whether HKS ever made it for the smaller J-frame, but this doesn't preclude some other maker/mfg from having done so.

BTW, we use to wad up toilet paper and stuff them into the bottom of the cases. This reduced the rattling sound when we patrolled.

C.R.Sam

Gary.....do you wear the cases flap down or up ? I like to fit em to the loader so it takes a slight pull to get it out, then wear with flap down. Stroke down with edge of hand to wipe the flap open and grasp the loader knob with thumb n finger......kinda one smooth move and the loader is ready to stuff. One disadvantage to my upside down system is that a case fitted for L frame loaders will let K frame loaders fall out as soon as the flap is open.

I use the HKS 103 basket weave for both sizes. I also alcohol and curl the end of the flap by the snap so it is easy to wipe open.

Sam......open for critique.