Are Sigs prices a JOKE?

kst8fan

I recently started a thread on whether to purchase a Beretta 92fs or a CZ 75b.
But to be honest, I really wanted a sig 226. What changed my mind was obviously the price of the Sig. I just couldnt see paying close to $900 for a
9mm. A buddy of mine has a CZ 75b and a Sig 226. He told me that the CZ is just as reliable, accurate and handles as well as the Sig 226, and is about $300 cheaper. Don't get me wrong, if Sig is indeed top of the line I wouldn't hesitate spending that much for a 9mm. So tell me those of you that have the Sig 226, is it really head and shoulders above the rest, or are the folks in Exeter just proud of their products? I have also been considering the Beretta 92fs/92a1. More than likely will be getting the Beretta or CZ, but I was just curious why the Sig is so expensive.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

They are fine guns no doubt,,,

But like you said,,,
Sig is very proud of their product.

I don't like the Sig because of the fat grip,,,
I simply can't get a good handle on it,,,
So I opted for the CZ-75B in 9mm.

That grip fits me very nicely,,,
So I call it a "better" gun for me than the Sig.

Mine has proven it reliability,,,
I had one FTE in the first magazine,,,
Since then (1,000 + rounds) it hasn't failed me once.

My advice is to get one in your hand and shoot it,,,
You're the only one who can really evaluate if it's suitable for you.

Put 100 rounds through your friends gun,,,
You just might like the Czech Ladies.

BTW,,, right now Buds has them for $465.00

Aarond

sigcurious

I feel my 226 was worth every penny, and I was debating the CZ 75.

However my decision to purchase the Sig first(I still plan on getting a 75) was based more in other factors than price, which are subjective to me. I do honestly feel the CZ 75 is a much better value.

That being said, it should be noted if you are considering the purchase of a Sig any of the p22x series can be purchased in .22lr for much cheaper than their major caliber counterparts. Now here the rub, you can add whatever major caliber conversion to the .22 and you still pay roughly the same amount for .22 + major caliber as you would if you had just purchased the major caliber alone. So the cost of my sig set up(.22 226 +9mm conversion) and my future cz 75 set up(9mm + .22 conversion) will be roughly the same. ~$800-900

BigJimP

Yes, I think Sig is a fine gun ....and I have a pair of 226's - one in 9mm and one in .40S&W both all stainless models.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69456&d=1303170642

Sig has priced their guns to meet what they consider their market...no, they're not nuts.....and I don't believe they are overcharging for their products either ...but whether they're worth it to you or not, you have to decide ...

Lots of shooters have 1911's in 9mm as well ...priced from $ 1,000 - $ 3,000 or more ..and just because they're a 9mm doesn't mean they're overpriced. I like a 1911 platform in 9mm ( guns like Wilson Combat's all stainless Protector model in 9mm sells for about $ 2,900 right now - and its a great gun in my opinion ).

aarondhgraham

I noticed that as well,,,

Sig is the only gun I know of that you can convert UP to a centerfire,,,
And it definitely is cheaper to buy a "Classic 22" and then convert it to centerfire.

Go figure,,, :confused:

Aarond

abber

Most gun purchases are a long term investment. At least that is how I approach it. That said, I feel my $1100 P226EQ was worth every penny. It looks good, handles nice, and is very accurate. AND, if it means anything to you, it has a metal frame.

Mrgunsngear

I wouldn't pay for any of the Sigs besides the 1911s. I like the 226 and the 229 a lot but there's no way I'd pay for them. It just seems nuts to me when they're are so many great polymer guns out there.

That said, Sig has been around a long time and it seems their business model is working so someone is paying for the guns; more power to them.

jayhan

I have a springfield xd tactical and xdm 4.5 (4.5 inch barrel) paid 550 for the xd and 650 for the xdm. If i had bought a few sigs i definitely wouldn't be going to the range every other weekend

wbw

There is always pre-owned. I got my 229SCT that came with FO front sight, six mags and the original owner had NP3 applied to the slide and all six mags for $900. I thought that was a good deal and it is a pretty fine pistol, IMO.

IshootThings

I have a 229 in .40. It's the only pistol I own (so far) and I've put 500 or 600 rounds through it at least and have never had a problem with it and haven't even cleaned it yet. I've fired a few guns and the only one I like better was an H&K my brother and I rented at a local range. I'd recommend the Sig in a heart beat.

WVsig

If you pay full price than yes you are paying too much. There are thousands of used Sigs in the $500 to $600 range.

I prefer the W German guns anyway. Also look at the CPO program you can get great deals there.

If you want NIB look at Top Gun or Wild West Guns. They move a lot of Sigs and will treat you right.

BeachHead

I love my P226. It's accurate, reliable, and just plain pretty.

But IMO, if I'm going to pay $950+ OTD, a polished feed ramp and re-crowned barrel should come as standard. Instead, Sig offers them as optional extras through their Custom Shop. A Melonite-type finish in place of their Nitron would be nice.

Does Sig make a good gun? Definitely. But I don't think I'll buy another unless I win the lotto or find one of their 1911s in the "pre-owned" section.

Micropterus

I have the Sig P226R and P229R, as well as the CZ75B and CZ75 Compact. I prefer the Sigs. I find them more comfortable, I like the decocker on the Sigs. Of course, CZ makes decocker versions of the 75, but they decock to half-cock, unlike the Sigs. The Sig is also more meticulously finished. If you left a Sig with the amount of machine marks in it that a CZ has, the Sig would cost quite a bit less.

I love my CZs, or I wouldn't own them. But I think the Sigs are more refined. And they shoot better for me.

proxpilot

I wouldnt trade my p226 for any other 9mm. it's the first gun i ever purchased and it will go to the grave with me.

seed

If you look, you can find older, better quality pre-Cohen era/pre-MIM circa 1990's Sigs for 5-600. It is one of the better kept secrets in the gun market at the present moment. I would rather have an older one than a new one anyway.

kst8fan

I should also mention that I want an all metal frame 9mm which is why Im considering these models. Not that polymer framed guns aren't great, steel is just what works for me. I feel that Im shooting a gun, not a toy.