Are S&W cylinders interchangeable?

jfrey123

I have a friend, let's call him 321yerfj, who wanted to find out if a .38 Special could fire a .357 Magnum, but he's not sure if it's a stupid question or not. :confused:

lol. Ok, so I'm curious if it's possible. In my head, unless the .357 Magnum cylinder is longer than the .38 Special, it should work right? Is the barrel different too? Would one need to swap the arm too?

Just curious what it would take... My 'friend' might be regretting buying the cheaper Model 637 and not saving up to buy the Model 340 and thinks the super-duper titanium cylinder might make the difference.

357 Python

I'm not sure if a magnum cylinder can be swapped for a 38 Spec. cylinder. The magnum cartridge is 1/10 of an inch longer than the 38 Spec. Even if the swap works I would not fire it. The 357 Magnum has a pressure level in the 35,000 psi range and the 38 Spec. is at least 10,000 psi less. You could easily damage the gun or worse. Please fire a 357 Magnum only in a magnum rated gun, it will be much safer.

As far as it being a stupid question, don't worry about it. Remember that all these "Experts" started somewhere and have asked or at least thought about the same questions you have. Some asked those questions and some experimented in order to find out. How do you think they became experts. Never be afraid of asking a question, especially if there is any chance that the act may be unsafe. Better to ask than try and have your hand injured or worse.

Dfariswheel

Magnum frames and cylinders have special level heat treating that isn't done to .38 frames and cylinders.
The gun and parts may look the same, but they ARE NOT the same.

NEVER alter a .38 Special to fire .357 Magnum rounds.
Not by re-chambering or installing a new cylinder.
Life is short enough without committing suicide.

As for the actual switching of cylinders..... NO.
Almost all revolver parts are individually hand fitted at the factory.
No part is more fitted and adjusted than the cylinder.
Once a cylinder is fitted to a frame it won't properly fit a different frame.

A cylinder is fitted to a frame as an assembly of a cylinder and an ejector.
First a new ejector is fitted to a cylinder, then that assembly is hand fitted to a frame.

Among the areas that require fitting and adjusting are:
Head space.
Barrel/cylinder gap.
Cylinder end shake.
Chamber alignment on all 5 or 6 chambers.
Timing.

Over the years I've seen a number of revolvers someone had "dropped in" a cylinder.
After gaging and inspecting, I never saw ONE that was a correct fit in all critical areas.
Cylinder work is a job for a Master pistolsmith, because it REQUIRES a Master with a tool box full of special tools to do it right.

jfrey123

Alright, good to know.

Now I'm a little worried, and I'll explain why:

I decided I would teach myself how to strip the revolver down a bit, taking off the side plate and learning by doing (had a post here a few days ago about that too :rolleyes: ) That's how I learned that this cylinder comes out fairly easily, and appears to have gone back in fairly easily after cleaning.

It dry fires just fine, locks up nicely, and doesn't more forward or back when cocked or decocked... But did I ruin anything by taking it apart when I cleaned it up?? :confused:

How did revolvers suddenly become more complicated than my semi autos??? lol

Powderman

You should have no problems with your revolver. A tip, to prevent scratching and damage when you remove the cylinder in Smith and Wessons:

1. Loosen the cylinder retention screw (located right above the trigger).
2. Open the cylinder, lay the revolver down, on its right side.
3. Pull the crane assembly out of the frame and the cylinder.
4. Lift the cylinder free.

Hope this helps!:)

Tom2

Comparing a stainless 38 to 357 K frame cylinder, they first appear exactly identical and are the same diameter, etc, but the magnum cylinder is longer than the 38 cylinder by the same amount a 38 and 357 case differ. As for heat treatment, etc. in current production guns, it would seem to me that it would be more work to heat treat practically identical parts to different standards and I would like to ask Smith about this factor, but for sure the actual proof tests of the two are very different. Big difference in pressures. So if you converted you would be the proof tester the first time you fired off a magnum in a previously standard pressure gun. I don't think they hand hold them when they do that!

"practically identical parts to different"

That says volumes about reason right there.

Practically identical and identical are not the same thing at all.