Are revolvers relevant in the 21st century ?

Kurbsky

I admit I love revolvers and I have several. But are they even relevant in the 21st century as a weapon? They are bulky, low capacity, expensive, non concealable toys for the old boys like me. At some point even collectors will give them up, just like the they did on barbie dolls and vynil records. I am afraid that may happen long before humans will switch to gamma-rays or gravitational guns. Even now, contrary to a popular belief, a well placed 9mm shot from a cheap Glock 19 or CZ can kill any white bear or elephant IMHO. I feel like my revolver collecting is just a pointless hoarding. Any thoughts?

reddog81

Ask Colt or Kimber or Manhurin, or Korth. They’ve all started, re-introduced, or entered the US revolver market in the last couple years.

HighValleyRanch

They are bulky, low capacity, expensive, non concealable toys for the old boys like me.
Are you only talking about big revovlers longer than 4 inches only?
Because there are many concealable small revovlers that are quite potent as well.

Lol, of course they are. Wish I had a few more. Hope to get a Kimber 6 if the ammo shortage ever stops. If the gun Gods said all I could carry was my LCR9mm, it would not bother me one bit.If you think the famous 642 which still sells like crazy for example is not concealable than I do not know what is.

Kurbsky

Small revolvers? Yes, they look cool... I even had one - S&W ti with a titanium drum and aluminium frame. I recently sold it at a loss for a simple reason: shooting for me should not be painful. With that small light revolver it would hurt for 2 days (3 days with +P ammo). Maybe it's just me....I have a friend with small hands who is uncomfortable with 686. I never had any pain issues with 686. It is heavy and absorbs the shock. I never held the new Kimber .357 mag but I suspect it's light and it kicks you.

Kurbsky

Where do you put your consealed revolver? I never tried to carry revolver of that size concealed but when I do carry sometimes my 1911 SA stainless, it's only behind my back.

Captains1911

I don’t consider myself old (42 yrs), and have recently discovered a new found appreciation, and practical purpose, for revolvers. I own many many semi-autos (mostly glocks), and still prefer them for most defensive purposes, but after recently moving to a house in the woods, I’ve really enjoyed carrying my LCR in .38 SPL around with two rounds of snake shot up first (I hate copperheads). I also just purchased a 686 plus with 3” barrel that I plan to hike around with in the woods. Sure my G20 in 10mm is just as useful a woods gun, but there’s just something cool and nostalgic about revolvers. They’re definitely still relevant.

jetinteriorguy

They sure are relevant if your a reloader, no scrounging for brass. I carry a 4” .357 every day, I can empty the cylinder as fast as I can pull the trigger and keep all hits in a 4” circle out to ten yds. It’s a bit of a beater but shoots like a dream.

Kurbsky

42 is young... I agree with Captains1911 that in the woods a .357 mag revolver would be very relevant. If a semi-auto jamms (it happened to me more than once) and Mr. Bear is still eager to hug an unwelcome guest, the outcome is predictable...

Don Fischer

I don't care if they are relevant or not. For shooting I much prefer my revolvers. Have two semi auto's for carry guns. They are smaller and higher capacity. If I go out with a hand gun just to fool around plinking or maybe rabbit hunting, I take a revolver.

wild cat mccane

I don't think the 38/357 ammunition (as a whole) is relevant at all given what 9mm HST which beats more than half of all the 357 loads in the Luckygunner test in a tiny M&P Compact barrel. Almost all the 357 mag hollow points wouldn't be considered premium rounds now and when loaded with Gold Dot, it simply doesn't need the increased FPS.

For woods when people talk about a woods hardcast solid, look at the new 9mm Federal marketed for bear hunting: https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-handgun-hunting/solid-core/11-P9SHC1.html

I love target shooting with a revolver though.

Is a revolver functional? Sure. Is it better than mechanically than a P365 with 12 9mm in a small package than any J-frame can get? no.

Bob Wright

As to your train of thought, note that Uberti not only is making western type revolvers, but replicas of vintage Winchester and Remington rifles. And there are some very expensive renditions of the Sharps rifles of the day. Ruger continues to turn out the Blackhawk revolver in many styles and calibers.

And no 9mm pistol, despite its ability to take down the biggest of game, will ever replace a fine bolt action rifle, a product of the Nineteenth Century!

Tried and proven has staying power!

Bob Wright

"They are bulky, low capacity, expensive, non concealable toys for the old boys like me."

:rolleyes:

A 1911 is bulky compared to a Smith snub.

A Super Redhawk is bulky compared to an M&P Shield Micro.

People stress over capacity. I'm not sure whether they're saying they expect to be attacked by a hoard of Hottentots, or whether they're saying they're a lousy shot...

Non concealable? Funny, I carry a Smith 042 in a pocket holster -- Jeans, chinos, slacks, shorts -- and I have never been made.

Toys? I rarely look at any firearm as a toy.

The expense comment is a consideration. The newer generations of some of the polymer handguns have given some pretty low price points, but that's certainly not a universal price point.

Regarding the "old boys..."

I first started carrying a revolver in 1987... when I was 21 and got my first CCW.

I've carried semi-autos during that time, as well... a Kahr K9, a Taurus PT 22, an H&K P7... but I've always considered my 5 and 6 shot snubs to be my primary carry/defensive firearms.

As for relevance... really? How many manufacturers offer revolvers right now? How many are sold every year?

Those two data points should more than answer any questions you might have about relevance.

Well said Mike. And a total believer that over capacity is so over rated I have wondered the same of what people expect to be attacked by and wondered if one of the facts that many talk against them is the fact that cannot shoot them well and just do not want to learn. The interesting thing about this, most of the People that I know that have shot DAO revolvers typically do not want to go back No use for a light trigger except for Target practice. They see the huge benifit of the revolver for the simplistic operation. And regardless of what others say they are more reliable. No gun is perfect or capable of failure, but the revolver will always be on top.
I taught my Son at a early stage in life on how to shoot. And then later presented him with a LCR22. I told him to hone his skills with this gun and you will be able to shoot any gun well. It will give you the best skills for shooting that will last you a life time if you master it. (And he has). Not to mention just plain fun to shoot. And nothing wrong with having fun when training.
So many time I seen first time gun owners wanting large capacity and the lightest trigger possible. I get this. Ads and internet hype run the marketing and new sales.

lee n. field

I admit I love revolvers and I have several. But are they even relevant in the 21st century as a weapon? They are bulky, low capacity, expensive, non concealable toys for the old boys like me. At some point even collectors will give them up, just like the they did on barbie dolls and vynil records. I am afraid that may happen long before humans will switch to gamma-rays or gravitational guns. Even now, contrary to a popular belief, a well placed 9mm shot from a cheap Glock 19 or CZ can kill any white bear or elephant IMHO. I feel like my revolver collecting is just a pointless hoarding. Any thoughts?

I'd say revolvers are a "niche" thing now.

As long as people buy them and use them, they're relevant. More people buy and use revolvers than corsets or buggy whips.

SIGSHR

Out of fashion I would say, I note that the various attempts at producing semiautos that fire magnum power rounds-the AutoMag, the Desert Eagle, the Wildey, etc. are the real "niche" handguns.

Centurion

Revolvers were, are, and will be very relevant. Given any effective caliber for a determined task, the most important factor on using a gun to save our lives is reliability. And a pistol will never be as reliable as a revolver.
In my defensive shooting classes I always teach to consider the revolver as a primary handgun, and the semiauto as a back up gun and not the opposite (as commonly known). You can use a pistol as a primary or only gun of course, but in case you have the opportunity to carry a second one, it is better you use the revolver as a primary and the pistol as a secondary gun. Then you have reliability at first and capacity at second place.
Remember that chances of being attacked by a commando gang are very, very rare.