Are pinned barrels holy relics?

Lavan

Is there any reason for the near REVERENCE for pinned barrel S&W's?

Has anyone had an unpinned barrel shoot itself off a frame yet? Did I miss it? Will it happen if I shoot tungsten carbide hollowpoint bullets? How about crush loads of Bullseye and deeply crimped heavy bullets? Would a pinned barrel hang together?
:eek:

Henry P

I just think it's a reminder of quality and craftmanship of an era gone by. The same with recessed cylinders and the old triple lock. These extra touches said something and gave the firearms a certain mystique. I believe Ruger has the same mystique because of the strength of their guns, we all know they are probably the strongest mass produced guns out there but we still ask if such and such a model is as strong as the Ruger model such and such. Deep down we want our firearms to be the best looking, best designed, strongest most accurate gun out there. Too bad someone doesn't put the perfect gun together. It would have the strength of the Ruger's, the trigger's of a S&W, the accuracy of a custom gun, and a finish like Colt's royal blue.(and of course a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders)

David Roberson

Lavan, the reverence doesn't stem from a belief that the pinned barrels are stronger, it stems from the fact that most of the pinned-barrel models had better craftsmanship than the later guns. Note that I said "most" of the pinned guns -- S&W was having a serious quality decline at the time they stopped pinning the barrels as a cost-cutting measure, so you can find late-model pinned guns that are just as bad as anything from the worst of the later era.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If pinned barrel guns are "holy relics", then I am shooting the heck out of some "relics". The pinned barrel was used for the simple reason that S&W uses righthand twist rifling and (in theory) the bullet torque on the rifling could unscrew the barrel. I doubt it was ever really necessary, merely another example of S&W's care to cover even unlikely contingencies.

The pin adds no strength to the barrel, and is not intended to allow it to resist extraordinary force. Lavan, I hope you are kidding about crush loads of Bullseye and tungsten carbide bullets. If you are not, please let us know where you will be shooting so we can all adjourn to the next state.

Jim

mikey357

What Henry and David said...it was right on the mark!!! I've got a few "pinned and recessed" S&W's...ALL of which get used. IF I had a minty 5-screw Model 29 or a New-in-the-box "pre-Model 27" .357 Magnum, I MIGHT think about shooting them...until Mrs. 3-5-7 found out what they were worth versus what they'd be worth IF I fired them!!! As you can probably tell, its for this reason that I DON'T have many "collectibles"...all my S&W's are shooters!!!....mikey357

Hum... There are probably as many "Holy Relic" Pinned S&Ws out there as there are fragments of the true cross AND fingers of St. Crispin put together. :)

RiverRider

I once ran across a pair of unfired, pinned and recessed S&Ws at a gunshop. One was a 6" 57, the other a 5" 27. I bought the 27 and changed its status to "fired" within 24 hours. I would have done the same with the 57 had I been able to afford it.

Henry P

I'm with you RiverRider. Reminds me I have to get out and shooot my Model 27 with 8 3/8 barrel, pinned barrel and recessed cylinders very soon. Hey, there might not be any guns in heaven so we might as well shoot them here.

mikey357

"Might NOT Be ANY Guns in Heaven"?!?!? Well, by definition, I think Heaven is FULL OF GUNS-most of 'em minty, pinned-and-recessed S&W revolvers!!!....mikey357

Henry P

mikey357 you're probably right. In heaven we'll probably all have that "perfect gun" I wished for waiting for each of us. Good shooting.

James K

Member In Memoriam
St. Pete (long)

The comment about St. Pete reminded me. Guns in Heaven? Maybe.

[The item below was sent as a letter to a real magazine (not named Pistolero) with a note saying that it explained why the writer would not renew his subscription. No reply has ever been received.]

It was this way, Pete...

Like you probably know already, I read Pistolero magazine and really think it is the greatest, so I try to follow all the good advice they give on combat shooting. They have a lot of real experts who really know their sh... I mean, stuff, let me tell you.

Well I got all the equipment those guys say you need to be a great combat shooter, and I practiced a lot, then I got a concealed weapons license, and I felt ready to take on the world.

Maybe you don't think much of that, I mean the business you're in. Oh, you say you used to carry concealed yourself? I guess I remember reading about that - your boss really didn't care for the idea, did he? But I guess that is another story.

Anyway, one day - or rather evening - I was downtown in the city, and I see this young guy coming along and he looked like one of those punks, I mean really bad, and he walked up to me, or really sort of swaggered, like they do, and said, "Give it up man, all of it." Well he didn't even have a weapon showing, but I could see the bulge in his jacket, so I knew he was armed, so I did all the things I read about in Pistolero about combat shooting.

First, I put on my custom shooting glasses ($300 from See-em, Inc., Blotz, GA) and then my custom fitted ear protectors with the smart circuitry that blocks the sound of shots but lets you hear a pin drop at 200 yards ($500 from Muff-em, Inc., Klotz, NM). Then I pulled down my Pistolero cap with the gold braid. Then I had a problem because I didn't know whether to use an isosceles stance or a Weaver stance. Finally, I decided on the isosceles stance, and assumed a perfect position.

Then I drew my custom super accurized .45 ($6000 from Slick-em, Inc., Flotz, AZ) from its custom made, perfectly fitted holster ($700 from Draw-em, Glotz, IL). And I took a perfect two-hand hold, facing the punk squarely, and got ready to fire.

One handed? No, I never heard of shooting a handgun with one hand - I never saw anyone in Pistolero do that! Standing? Of course, I was standing, and right out in the open, too. I could have maybe ducked behind a car or a building, or even dodged to one side, but that wouldn't be macho and in Pistolero, no one ever takes cover. Pistolero readers aren't cowards, no sir!

Well, to make a long story short, the punk pulled out a cheap, chrome-plated Yorkin .25 ($39.95 from Throw-up, Inc., Plotz, CA) and put three slugs in my head, and so, here I am. And he didn't even use the proper stance! I guess he doesn't read Pistolero, because he didn't play by the rules and you just can't respect that kind of guy, no way!

But I don't know what I did wrong, Pete. I followed every rule I saw in Pistolero about combat shooting. I just don't understand.

You say that maybe I was a little too eager to get in a shootout, but defending yourself is OK? So I can go in now? Thanks a lot, Pete, I mean Saint Pete.

By the way, is there a combat range up here? And can I get Pistolero forwarded? It's really a great magazine.

Jim