Are Kahrs SAFE?

briang2ad

OK - a little hyperbole to start.

I have a new PM9 that shoots +P like candy.

But... yesterday I had the barrel out in cleaning, and I dropped in a live round - KABOOOM! Not.

I noticed that there is no case head support virtually around the circumference of the head - this is odd. My CZs have total case head support - even my son't Glock 19 has more support. I assume they to it to get a shorter action.

Yet - the internet is almost void of Kahr kabooms.

Wassup?

Last edited:

B18C5-EH2

They can go kaboom like my wife's did in her hand when we were shooting what turned out to be reloads (were told it was "new" ammo)

TriggerBarCoverBlownOut-1.jpg

EjectedExtractor-1.jpg

Having said that I trust my life to my Kahr PM9, and as soon as I put more ammo down range I'll trust my PM40 as well. Kahr fixed the pistol in just five total days with zero charge to me, and that included priority (as in overnight and showing up at 8:30am) shipping BOTH ways.

I'm sure this will be fodder for the anti-Kahr crew that loves to scrutinize Kahr, but I don't care. Nothing anti-Kahr folks post here can change the size, weight, quality, and carry-ability of my Kahr pistols.

I was overwhelmingly impressed with the PM9 (with the understanding that the kB was induced by faulty ammo) after getting it back repaired that I also own a PM40:

IMG_5422.jpg

I'll be honest and admit my ignorance when it comes to chamber design, case support, etc. so far both pistols go bANG! every time, and the bullets go where I'm aiming.

That's all I care about.

PSP

When a quality, modern pistol has a major problem like that it is almost always ammo related. The KBs I've seen lately are mostly a testiment to how robust they are now built.

hoytinak

That's actually good to see that the little "cut-out" on the Kahr's polymer frame work as they're suppossed to.

Kahr's FAQ said:
Q. Why does the panel on the side of the grip of my Kahr polymer pistol sometimes "pop open"?

A. When a firearm is discharged, there is equal pressure on both sides of the ammunition, and the cartridge will seek the path of least resistance, which is forward. However, if the rim of the cartridge is cracked, the primer pinched, or any similar damage, pressure builds up and the path of least resistance is backwards causing the grip mount to pop. It is provided as a safety mechanism to prevent bodily injury

orionengnr

I always wondered about that panel.

I owned and carried a Kahr PM9 every day for about three years.
A year ago I switched to a Kahr P45.

They are fantastic pistols. Small, light, accurate and reliable. Great trigger.
I'd like to add a PM45 and a P380 to the line-up, and one day perhaps I will. For now, I am quite happy with what I have.

PSP

Anyone have a problem with the case head being unsupported 360 deg in this gun???

The gun was originally built for +P+ ammo. Tens of thousands of guns and million of rounds fired through them would tend to indicate there is not problem. At least that's how I view the situation.

EdInk

NO! They are great guns. Go buy or rent one and you'll agree. Get the
polymer for less weight or steel for less recoil like you asked
about in your previous thread.

Dfariswheel

The Kahr was engineered to use up to +P ammo.
It is NOT to be used with +P+ ammo.
+P+ ammo is not loaded to a specifice standard and some may be much more powerful than others.
+P+ ammo is intended to be used in full sized service firearms for police use.

From Kahr's web site:

Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets.
The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

pressure builds up and the path of least resistance is backwards causing the grip mount to pop. It is provided as a safety mechanism to prevent bodily injury
So, would B18's gun be fixable?

Inquiring minds want to know.

PSP

The Kahr was engineered to use up to +P ammo.

Not exactly. The original K9 was designed for and approved for 9mm+P+ ammo. It was and still is designed for .40 which already approached 9mm+P+ pressures. Later, Kahr reduced the recoil spring rate and reduced the recommendation to 9mm +P.

The fact is; the original gun was designed to handle 9mm+P+ ammo, and said so in the manual.

I brought up this point to demonstrate the robust nature and safety of the gun design.

The current recommendation is +P

Here's a link; http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/gunsweapons_1198.html

Last edited:

bombthrower77

I finally got my PM9 just yesterday and broke it in with 300+ rounds, including some loose NATO ammo. In the midst of loading one mag, I accidentally popped in several rounds of ++P++ Hirtenberger L7A1 :eek:, and while it made my hand sting, no kb or noticeable damage. Examined the spent cartridges and found no abnormal deformation. The gun shot flawlessly before, during and after..... :D.

varoadking

"Department of the Treasury
ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case

12 O'clock position: HP
3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
6 O'clock position: L7Al
9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320. "

Tbag

Tom Servo "So, would B18's gun be fixable?

Inquiring minds want to know."

Yes, with postage paid both ways.